Role and salary
As our new Postdoctoral Researcher, you will be working at the A.I. Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences at the Faculty of Health Sciences. The position is located in Kuopio, Finland.
The tasks of the Postdoctoral Researcher involve technical research in the field of neuroscience by developing and applying advanced computational methods to study multimodal data (multimodal imaging, EEG, genetics, behavior), potentially from multiple sources towards a strongly integrative view of neuroscience.
- the Postdoctoral Researcher will take responsibility in projects that involve neuroimaging (MRI) research, primarily targeting eurodegenerative diseases, epilepsy, surgical interventions and major depression disorder.
- the researcher is expected to author high-quality scientific papers and help with the preparation of research projects.
- the researcher can take part in mentoring doctoral students, and they can contribute to the (software) tool development efforts at A.I. Virtanen Institute.
A. I. Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences is a research institute housing an international staff of 150 full-time scientists. It is part of the Faculty of Health Sciences and focuses on biomedical research on neurological and cardiovascular diseases (see https://www.uef.fi/en/unit/ai-virtanen-institute-for-molecular-sciences). The research is to be done in close collaboration with scientists from different research groups within UEF's Neuroscience Research Community (NSciRC, see https://www.uef.fi/en/research-community/neuroscience-neuro ). The international UEFRAE2019 evaluation panel assessed NSciRC to be of outstanding quality in international comparison (score 6/6). The research of the A.I. Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences is based on the Ageing, Lifestyles and Health profile area in the university's strategy. Please see https://www.uef.fi/en/strategy-2030.
The position will be filled from 1 September 2022 (or as agreed) until 31 August 2026. The position is fixed-term due to it pertaining to a specific project. A probationary period is applied to all new members of the staff.
The salary of the position is determined in accordance with the salary system of the Finnish universities. The salary comprises two components: a job requirement component and a personal performance component. Depending on the candidate, the job requirement component will be determined based on level 5 or 6 for teaching and research staff. In this position, the job requirement component is 3044,00 €/month based on level 5, and 3549.72 €/month based on level 6. The personal performance component can be a minimum of 6% and a maximum of 50% of the above-mentioned sums. The estimated salary in the beginning of the employment will be in the range of 3348 - 3866 €/month based on level 5, and 3905 - 4508 €/month based on level 6.
Our requirements and expectations
- doctoral degree in a relevant discipline
- excellent skills in scientific communication in English, both in terms of writing scientific papers and presenting research work
- hands-on experience in data analysis and method development (machine learning, complex networks, image/signal analysis) for neuroscientific applications
- strong programming and computational skills
- excellent collaborative skills
- experience in collaborating with multi-disciplinary academic research groups, hospitals and industry partners
- experience in managing research projects and teams, practical experience from top-level international research institutes and previous experience in neuroscience are considered assets
- previous experience in the supervision of PhD students and a successful track record in acquiring external funding are highly preferred
How to apply?
Submit your application by using our electronic application form no later than 15 August 2022 (by 24.00 hours Finnish time).
Please note that you must include the following appendices in your application:
a list of publications (https://www.aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to-apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/). Please mark the 10 most important publications that are relevant to the position.
copies of your academic degree certificates / diplomas, and copies of certificates / diplomas relating to your language proficiency, if not indicated in the academic degree certificates/diplomas
motivation letter (max. 1 page)
a brief summary (max. 3 pages, including references) of the previous scientific merits and research activities, including research
collaboration, of the applicant (to be attached as 'Scientific merits and research work')
For further information on the position, please contact Research Director Dogu Baran Aydogan, +358 50 473 8759, firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on the application procedure, please contact email email@example.com during July and from 1 August HR Secretary Tarja Salmi, tel. +358 29 445 8220, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hae työpaikkaa osoitteesta https://rekry.saima.fi/certiahome/aew.html?job_id=13655&jc=21