Technology Development Manager, Biocomposites
Are you looking to join a dynamic, innovation-driven, international company, building a better future for us all? UPM leads the forest based bioindustry into a sustainable, innovation-driven, and exciting future. The competence, integrity and drive of our people make us unique. We live by our values – trust and be trusted, achieve together, renew with courage.
We are now looking for a Technology Development Manager, Biocomposites to join our UPM Biocomposites team in Lahti, Finland or Bruchsal, Germany.
UPM Biocomposites business develops, manufactures, markets, and sells high-quality composite products for outdoor end uses in construction (UPM ProFi) and granulates for a wide range of industrial and consumer applications (UPM Formi). UPM Biocomposites is one of the Europe’s biggest natural fibre composite manufacturers and its factories are located in Finland and Germany. UPM Biocomposites is part of UPM’s new businesses. Further information: www.upmprofi.com and www.upmformi.com
“We, at UPM Biocomposites, are enthusiastic about being at the forefront of the new wave of bio-based solutions, recycling and turning recycled streams and bio-based solutions into great products for commercial end-uses. Due to arising awareness of climate change and consumer behavior many industries are looking for alternative material solutions to replace or enhance the more conventional ones. Join the team to ride the wave and create sustainable impact in many applications. Welcome to the UPM Biocomposites team!” - Mikko Lassila, Director, Business Development, UPM Biocomposites
What you’ll do
- Manage technology development programs including technology/raw-material conception, project definition and development activities
- Prepare proposals and estimates for new technology development projects
- Identify and evaluate new raw material streams and process technologies
- Simulate and prototype of new solutions
- Technology and recipe development, including laboratory scale, pilot scale and industrial scale validation runs
- Track, update reporting and record results and recipes
- Be responsible for the approval of all materials used in Biocomposites
- Proactive IPR screening, management and development
- Be member of IPR Jury
Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide material expert support to operations in ramp-ups, troubleshooting and process development of existing and new products and processes
- Technical support for Supply Chain sourcing activities
- Material expertise for product and application development
Who you are
- You have 3+ years´ of relevant work experience, preferably from composites and/or plastics industry
- You have minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. Material Sciences and/or Chemistry)
- You are a systematic and analytical problem solver
- You know and understand material simulation practices
- You master fibre-matrix interface through deep knowledge in chemistry and reinforcements
- You have expertise knowledge in compounding as well as a broad awareness and understanding of other processing technologies
- You are fluent in written and spoken English. For this position especially German and Finnish, but also other languages, are an asset
- You have advanced skills in work related software and applications
- You are a team player and can work, as well as communicate, effectively in a diverse group of people
- You are self-motivated, open-minded and you have a can-do attitude
This is what we offer
- Meaningful job: You can be part of the success story from start-up to global, multi-million business. Our work highlights the expertise of our personnel, the high quality of our products and the company's values
- Inspired and motivated teams: We are a highly committed, agile, international team that works to achieve our mission
- Development opportunities: Grow as we grow. With us you can build up your expertise. As a growing business, we provide great opportunities to support for your development within a large multinational company
- Responsibility for people and environment: Our ethical principles embrace people as well as the environment. We are always striving to build a more sustainable future
For further information, please contact Mikko Lassila, Director, Business Development, at +358503797720.
Please apply via the link above and attach your CV and cover letter latest February 10th 2020.
For support with submitting your application, please contact HR Service Center at email@example.com or +358204146600.
A security background check may be performed for those selected to UPM positions, in accordance with the company recruitment guidelines and the Security Clearance Act 726/2014.
UPM is a non-smoking workplace in Finland.