Senior Scientist in Thermal Metrology
Form of employment: Full time, Regular
Locations: Espoo, Finland
Job area: National metrology institute VTT MIKES
Applications by December 08, 2019
VTT MIKES is specialised in measurement science and technology. As the National Metrology Institute of Finland, VTT MIKES is responsible for the implementation and development of the national measurement standards system and realisation of the SI units in Finland. We carry out top-level research within the field of measurement science and develop measurement techniques for the industry and society.
VTT MIKES www.mikes.fi/
With us you will be responsible for driving research and development activities in the field of thermal measurements. You will lead national measurement standards operations in thermometry at VTT MIKES.
Your responsibilities include:
- Scientific research in the field of thermal metrology
- Reporting results in scientific journals
- Managing research projects
- Generating new research ideas and acquiring research funding
- Developing and maintaining national measurement standards for thermometry
- Customer relationships and services
- International thermal metrology cooperation
We expect you to have
- Master’s or Doctor’s degree in physics or engineering
- Profound knowledge in Metrology
- Fluent written and oral communication in English
A proven track record of research in thermal metrology in at least one of the following areas:
- Primary thermometry
- Cryogenic thermometry
- Non-contact thermometry
- Quantum, optical, photonic or optomechanical thermometry
- Fixed point cells
- Thermal energy harvesting
- Thermophysics, thermodynamics
The following skills and experience are considered an asset:
- Programming, e.g. Matlab, LabView
- Numerical simulation, e.g. COMSOL
- Data analysis, e.g. related to dynamic measurements, machine learning
As a person you are enthusiastic about the possibility to develop novel thermal measurement techniques in national and international projects for a variety of applications ranging from cryogenic and photonic thermometry to thermal control systems for satellites. We are looking for a passionate researcher who is a fast learner and goes beyond the obvious. You like problems solving and make initiatives rather wait for instructions. You have strong networking and collaboration skills, as well as an ability to lead research projects. You have a customer-oriented mind-set and can do attitude. You are a team player and willing to share your knowhow and learn from others.
We offer a great opportunity to develop thermal metrology for the future needs of industry and society. You will be working in an international and inspiring research environment together with top professionals in Metrology. The position will be filled as soon as suitable candidates have been found.
For further information
Please contact Research Team Leader Richard Högström (firstname.lastname@example.org).