Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2022 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds from 48 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Scenario planning to carbon-neutrality research team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a research trainee, your key goals are to support the assessments of realistic potential of Negative Emission Technologies and Practices (NETPs) and their contribution to climate neutrality, as a supplementary strategy to greenhouse gas emissions mitigation. In this position, you will have an essential role in collecting and formulating quantitative and qualitative data, which will be used as input data for our quantitative scenario modelling. You will work for the ongoing EU NEGEM project (https://www.negemproject.eu/) funded by the European Horizon 2020 Programme and coordinated by VTT.
Our team, Scenario planning to carbon-neutrality works on systemic solutions for holistic forward-looking transition towards sustainable societies with especial focus on climate action. We support both public and private sectors in their strategic decision making towards carbon neutrality. We create and use methods and quantitative models for describing interaction of technological, economic, environmental as well as social and human aspects, and their feedback systems.
What your responsibilities as a Research Trainee would include?
- Collecting and formulating quantitative and qualitative data on NETPs from the published NEGEM reports and other deliverables.
- Reviewing and analysing country and regional level climate strategies and policies towards carbon neutrality and the role of NETPs in the strategy documents.
- Working with VTT’s project coordination team and communication between project partners.
- You’ll also use your advanced skills in English to write review report of the above analysis and to communicate with the international project partners.
Who we are looking for?
- A bachelor’s degree in energy systems, energy economics, environmental management, systems analysis or relevant.
- Knowledge on greenhouse gas mitigation technologies, practices and systems.
- Programming knowledge and competences and/or use of system models are an advantage.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
As a person, we hope that you:
- Are eager to develop and take on new challenges and have willingness to learn over solving the global grand challenges, like climate change.
- Are capable of working in a flexible and independent manner, and team player with collaboration skills to work in the international environment.
- Have an analytical mind-set and are able to see the big picture and the energy-economy-climate-society interactions.
We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start.
What would we offer you?
Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2000 experts representing more than 40 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Scenario planning to carbon-neutrality team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 6 February 2022. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research team leader Tiina Koljonen, email@example.com, 050 359 9549 on 13th January at 11:00-16:00 or 19th January at 11:00-16:00.
Meet last summer's VTT Changemakers in VTT's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vttfinland/
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 10 January 2022 and 6 February 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Fixed-term (Summer traineeship), hydrid work