Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2022 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds from 48 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Functional Cellulose team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a Research Trainee, you will learn in detail about the various facets of lignocellulosic materials and biopolymers in general. You would be involved in a project that is aiming to develop advanced solutions for lignocellulosic materials in the field of optics and space cooling. In this position, you will have an essential role in using and developing experimental techniques for measuring thermodynamic effects and preparing model films and coatings from cellulosic materials.
Our team, Functional Cellulose, works on developing cutting-edge material solutions from lignocellulosic biomass. We tackle global challenges like resource sufficiency and climate change while working at the forefront of forest bioeconomy. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations from cellulose materials such as optical fibers, packaging solutions, filtration membranes, fire-retardant coatings, optical waveguides and environment sensors.
What your responsibilities as a Research Trainee would include?
- Carry out a short literature survey on the topic of optical applications of functional cellulose materials
- Conduct laboratory experiments related to your project. In certain cases, also build in-house experimental setups
- Assist in producing science communication material concerning your project (images, videos, social media posts).
- Write research summaries and submit a final work report in English.
Who we are looking for?
- You should have completed at least a Bachelor’s degree in chemical/process engineering, environment engineering, materials science or similar discipline
- You should have hands-on experience with working in materials/polymer science laboratory environment
- Familiar with basic theoretical background on biopolymers, cellulose chemistry, cellulose nanomaterials (nanocellulose), and cellulose based films
- Basic knowledge of fundamental principles of optics and thermodynamics is a benefit to succeed in the position. Knowledge of basic simulation methodology in MATLAB is advantageous but not necessary.
- Good skills in English, both spoken and written.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Curious and eager to learn about new multidisciplinary topics, in this case, a combination of natural materials science and optics.
- Able to conduct independent laboratory experimental work and perform data analysis, interpretation, and visualization
- A team player who can work well in collaboration with other researchers.
We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start.
What would we offer you?
Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2000 experts representing more than 40 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Functional Cellulose team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 6 February 2022. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact on 18.01.2022 9-12 AM or 27.01.2022 9-12 AM:
Meet last summer's VTT Changemakers in VTT's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vttfinland/
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 10 January 2022 and 6 February 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Fixed-term (Summer traineeship)