Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2022 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds from 48 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a Research Trainee, your key goals are to support experimental research projects related to materials performance in nuclear power plants. In this position, you will have an essential role in utilizing state-of-the-art research facilities for scientific studies on metal fatigue, also in simulated reactor coolant.
Our team, Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics works on a range of topics related to fracture and ageing phenomena across a range of industries targeting low carbon solutions. We create impact through responsible experimental research to thoroughly understand and quantify mechanical behavior of materials in demanding environments.
What your responsibilities as a Research Trainee would include?
- Assisting technical staff with research facility development work.Participation in experiment planning, execution and analysis of results.
- Writing scientific reports and/or publications in co-operation with researcher colleagues.
- Possibly communication of research results to stakeholders.
- Possibly writing your thesis.
Who we are looking for?
- Master level student nearing the end of studies. The opportunity for a Master’s thesis is an option.
- Educational background in mechanical engineering, materials engineering or similar.
- Interest towards experimental material research. Experience with destructive mechanical testing techniques is considered a benefit.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Interested in research and development work.
- Challenge driven and analytical with curiosity to learn and develop new skills.
- A team player with good collaboration skills, but also capable of independent work.
- Willing to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- A fluent English speaker and writer.
We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2000 experts representing more than 40 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 6 February 2022. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Tommi Seppänen, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 40 130 4618.
Meet last summer's VTT Changemakers in VTT's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vttfinland/
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 10 January 2022 and 6 February 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Fixed-term (Summer traineeship)