Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2022 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds from 48 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Nuclear Energy / Structural Integrity team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a Research Trainee, your key goals are to support structural integrity assessment projects with performing computational finite element analyses of nuclear power plant components and piping systems and other similar cases, and to report and communicate the results. In this position, you will have an essential role in helping the team to ensure structural integrity and safety of nuclear power plants.
Our team works mainly on structural integrity of nuclear power plants to support the safe and sustainable use of nuclear energy. Nuclear energy is widely seen as a feasible means for stable energy generation at a large scale, with low emissions.
What your responsibilities as a Research Trainee would include?
- Perform finite element modelling and strength and failure analyses of nuclear power plant structures and components.
- Develop computer programs and scripts to build the models and support the simulations.
- Write scientific and technical reports from the results.
- Communicate the project results to the project team and outside of the project team.
Who we are looking for?
- Mechanical Engineering master’s student preferably in solid mechanics or structural engineering.
- Basic experience in structural finite element modelling and simulation software (Abaqus, Ansys, etc.) is preferred.
- Additional studies in fluid mechanics, engineering material science and manufacturing technology are an advantage.
- Competence in computer programming or scripting languages (Fortran, C++, Python, Matlab) is an advantage.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Able to work both independently and as a part of a project team.
- Problem solving skills and able to learn new things.
- Working language is mostly English, basic understanding of Finnish is an advantage.
We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2000 experts representing more than 40 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Structural Integrity team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 6 February 2021. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Senior Scientist Juha Kuutti, email@example.com, +358-40-5655471 (Tuesdays 15:00 – 16:00 UTC+2 / Helsinki).
Meet last summer's VTT Changemakers in VTT's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vttfinland/
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 10 January 2022 and 6 February 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Fixed-term (Summer traineeship)