VTT Summer Internships 2020; Silicon photonics
VTT Summer Internships 2020; Silicon photonics (6297)Form of employment: Full time, Fixed term
Locations: Espoo, Finland
Job area: Research and Development
Application period: Thursday, January 16, 2020 - Sunday, February 09, 2020
Are you looking for a summer job with meaningful responsibility and possibility to make an impact? At VTT you have an opportunity to be part of our innovative work community of brilliant minds, and learn and develop with the support of your team mates. We have over 2000 encouraging and inspiring colleagues from 47 different nationalities waiting for you across Finland!
Our last summer’s trainees rated their summer job experience at 3,72 / 4 in Responsible Summer Job survey by Oikotie. Below are some excerpts of their feedback:
”I’ve been involved to versatile different projects and to different level of work tasks.”
”It was an eye opening experience to be part of various research projects.”
Join us and make an impact for a brighter future!
Do you want to learn about photonic integrated circuits (PICs) that are the optical version of those microelectronic circuits (ICs) that you find inside your smartphone? Then join our silicon photonics team and help us analyze and test PICs fabricated at VTT.
"Video recording of a conference presentation about VTT's silicon photonics develoment".
doing optical and electrical measurements for our silicon photonics components, such as optical waveguides, wavelength multiplexers/filters, photodetectors, lasers and amplitude/phase modulators. You will also be responsible for documenting and analyzing the results, and for doing some sample preparation, assembly and/or packaging tasks. All this will be done under the supervision of our existing experts. The photonic chips will be mostly based on VTT's 3 µm thick silicon-on-insulator (SOI) waveguides, which are monolithically and hybrid integrated with other materials/chips to realize advanced PICs on silicon.
• Optical testing of passive PICs and waveguide components
• Optoelectronic testing of active PICs and components
• Result documentation and analysis
• Sample preparation, high-precision component assembly and/or PIC packaging
• Theoretical knowledge about photonics (understanding the basics of optical fibers/waveguides, photodetectors, modulators, switches etc.)
• Hands-on experience from doing some optical and/or electrical laboratory measurements
• Bachelor's degree from a relevant field (or equivalent skills)
• Fluent communication skills in English
• Any experience from the characterization of the photonic components listed above is highly appreciated
• Mindset: Open-minded, solutions-oriented, result-driven, proactive, analytical and willing to see research results turn into commercial solutions
• Collaboration: Team-player, good collaboration & communication skills, able to work also independently
• Way of working: Self-driven, willingness to learn new things, well-organized, practical, hands-on
• Other: Willingness to work most of the time in June-August (starting earlier or continuing later is negotiable)
VTT is a place to make a difference in collaboration with other brilliant minds. Our mission is to create impact that generates sustainable growth and wellbeing in society as well as in industry.
Our people are the core of the next generation VTT. Therefore, our personnel’s wellbeing, flexible work opportunities and competence development are key priorities for us.
With us, you can make an impact for a better future and you can be part of solving the biggest challenges of our time.
In silicon photonics, you have the opportunity to work on interesting assignments in well-equipped R&D infrastructure as part of an internationally oriented team. The possibility of writing your Master’s thesis (or similar assignments) based on this or related work can be discussed.
At VTT you also have an opportunity to continue working after your summer job as a part-time employee alongside of your studies or as a Thesis worker. According to Responsible Summer Job survey, 96 % of our summer interns were satisfied with their summer internship experience and 95 % were willing to continue working at VTT in the future.For further information
For more information about the position, you can contact Timo Aalto, Research Team Leader (tel. +358-40-8485037) 30th January between 10 AM and 1 PM.