VTT Summer Internships 2019; Research Trainee, Low-temperature sensor instrumentation
Form of employment: Full time, Fixed term
Locations: Espoo, Finland
Applications by February 28, 2019
Do you want to join our Applied Quantum Electronics team? We have wide expertise in low temperature physics, sensors, and electronics, and cover the field from the fundamental science into industrial applications. The team is also a part of the national Centre of Excellence - Quantum technology Finland (https://qtf.fi/) with around 100 researchers from the leading institutions in Finland.With us you will be responsible for
developing the testing capabilities and performing the testing activities related to low-temperature sensor instrumentation. As a part of our project team, your particular tasks focus on cryogenic readout electronics based on superconducting quantum interference devices (SQUIDs) intended as preamplifiers for ultrasensitive detector arrays. You will mostly contribute to the testing of the SQUIDs and related instrumentation. In a bigger picture, the work supports future space science missions, in particular the “Athena” mission of European Space Agency (http://sci.esa.int/athena/59896-mission-summary/).
• Assembling and/or testing room temperature electronics for the SQUID readout
• Setting up cryogenic SQUID measurements using a sub-Kelvin cryogenic facility
• Setting up and programming automated measurement protocols for device testing
• Performing low-temperature characterization measurements of the SQUIDs
• Studies in the field of physics, applied physics and/or electrical engineering.
• At least basic-level understanding of analog and/or digital electronics.
• Ability to work with standard laboratory instrumentation (e.g. oscilloscopes, spectrum/network analyzers etc.).
• Eagerness to learn about cryogenic measurement instrumentation
• Solution oriented, well organized, and and result-friven
• Willingness to learn new things
• Able to work both independently and as a team member
At VTT, we believe that our impact is built on scientific and technological excellence in all our work. Our people is the core of the next generation VTT. Our personnel’s wellbeing and competence development are key priorities. You will be a part of a creative and international working environment. We offer versatile, independent and challenging tasks and the needed support and coaching. In this particular position, you will be adviced by a more senior researcher nominated as your instructor. Please note that we can also consider possibilities for Bachelor’s or Master’s Thesis work.
We offer a great opportunity to develop technological competences in Sensing and Integration research area together with VTT´s top experts. You will gain working-level understanding on the experimental methodology used in experimental low-temperature physics and sensor applications, and gain a view on how this connects to astrophysical research.
The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate has been found.For further information
For more information please contact Juha Hassel, Principal Scientist, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358407385043