Tenure track position (Microelectronics), 2 positions/Tenure track -tehtävä (Mikroelektroniikka), 2 tehtävää
- suomeksi englanninkielisen tekstin alla -
We are now seeking two assistant professors, associate professors or full professors in the broad field of Microelectronics.
The positions are placed in the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication Sciences (ITC) at Tampere University, more specifically in the Computing Sciences Unit (CS) and in the Electrical Engineering Unit (EE). The two units cover the full spectrum of ICT research and education from transistor-level phenomena to human-technology interaction. We are especially looking for candidates with expertise in the following areas: Computer Engineering (CS position) and Electronics/Wireless (EE position). The new positions will support our new strategic multidisciplinary initiative, System-on-Chip Hub.
The successful candidates will be expected to strengthen and expand the research carried out in ASIC/VLSI design in order to create complete design flows, architectures and circuits as well as production quality tested prototype chips for future System-on-Chips needed in AI, 5G, IoT, imaging, video, robotics and security applications. We appreciate an innovative approach towards emerging techniques, such as implementing analog circuit functions in GHz digital standard cell library and design flows and methodologies.
The final profile of the position can be tailored according to your special areas of expertise and may include, for example, some of the following areas:
Position in Computing Sciences:
- system-on-Chip, ASIC architectures and chiplets
- physical digital ASIC implementations and silicon technologies
- digital ASIC design techniques from functional verification to Design-for-Test
- formal verification and ASIC modelling
- quantum computer interfacing.
Position in Electrical Engineering:
- analog and mixed signal systems
- RF/microwave/mm-wave integrated circuits
- low-power electronics and sensor interfaces
- 3D systems, nanoarchitectures, intelligent system architectures
- photonic integrated circuits
- silicon technologies.
Please note that the above classification is not definitive but provided to identify potential areas of expertise.
The guiding principle of ITC is to break barriers and seek interdisciplinary opportunities. Sustainability, digitalization, automation and machine learning builds on microelectronics as technology enabler. We seek to commoditize microelectronics development through new chip development innovations through e.g. machine learning and open source components. The innovations are realized through test chips in a leading industry collaboration project SoC Hub. This is a unique opportunity to mould and direct research and teaching in a fresh environment and pursue new ground-breaking projects. The candidates are welcome to strengthen European and global collaboration in networking with industry and academy.
In general, our tenure track staff are expected to:
- pursue and supervise scientific research in their field;
- lead, conduct and develop research-led teaching, curriculum development and student supervision;
- seek, secure and manage research funding from different sources, such as EU instruments;
- demonstrate effective academic leadership and engage with external stakeholders.
- applicable doctoral degree
- ability to undertake independent scholarly activity and potential to pursue scholarly activity at a high international level of excellence
- teaching skills required to successfully perform the duties and functions of the position.
- applicable doctoral degree
- track record of independent scholarly activity
- teaching skills required to successfully perform the duties and functions of the position
- ability to lead a research group and acquire external funding
- track record of international scholarly activity.
- applicable doctoral degree
- high-level scholarly expertise
- experience of leading scientific research
- ability to provide high-quality research-based education and instruction
- track record of winning external research funding
- track record of international scholarly activity
We will expect you to demonstrate how your profile aligns with the strategy of Tampere University and with the profile of the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication Sciences and describe how you would work in a multidisciplinary environment. Ideally, for more senior level appointments, you will have experience of leading or making a major contribution to a research group. An existing track record of industry collaboration will be considered an advantage.
Initial appointment as an assistant professor and associate professor will be for five years. Subject to successful performance, you will become a tenured faculty member at the end of the first five-year period. You will be well supported throughout the five-year period to ease your transition to a tenured position. Full professors will hold a permanent appointment from the outset. Please read more about tenure track career system at Tampere University. A trial period of six months applies to all our new employees.
Salaries are based on the job demands and employees’ personal performance in accordance with the Finnish University Salary System. The starting salary range will be from €4,000 to €4,600/month for an assistant professor, from €4,600 to €5,300/month for an associate professor, and from €5,500-€6,300/month for a professor. A higher salary may be agreed upon based on the successful candidate’s experience and/or performance.
We offer you the opportunity to join our dynamic and innovative international community. As a member of staff at Tampere University, you will enjoy a range of competitive benefits, such as a flexible work schedule, good facilities for teleworking, a variety of affordable food and drink outlets across our campuses and a personal fund to spend on sports and cultural activities in your free time. Please read more about working at Tampere University. You can also find more information about us and working and living Tampere by watching our video: Tampere Higher Education Community - our academic playground
Tampere, located between two big lakes, is Finland’s second largest city area and the biggest inland city in the Nordic countries. The nature is close everywhere you turn your head in Tampere. This, combined with a strong industrial tradition, make Tampere a unique environment for living and working. At present the region hosts a great deal of industry and service businesses, and the City of Tampere is a major hub for the Finnish ICT industry. For more information on Tampere, please see VisitTampere and BusinessTampere.
Finland provides one of the most advanced and comprehensive social security in the world, including, for example, sickness benefits, various family benefits and a comprehensive healthcare system. For more information about Finland, please visit InfoFinland and This is Finland.
How to apply
Please submit your application through our online recruitment system. The closing date for applications is 25 October 2020 (at 23.59 EEST, GMT+2 / 21.59 UTC).
Please write your application and all accompanying documents in English and attach them in PDF format. Applications should include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae according to TENK guidelines;
- List of publications according to Academy of Finland guidelines. Please indicate your ten most important publications and include links to them. You can also combine the publications into a cloud file and add a link to the file to your list of publications;
- Teaching portfolio (according Tampere University guidelines);
- A research plan (max. 4 pages) including your research vision in this field and a plan for your research for the next 5 years;
- A brief account of your career and key achievements (max. 1 page);
- The names, positions and contact details of two referees who can support your application.
Candidates may be invited for a video interview during the first stage of the recruitment process. The most qualified candidates will be invited for an interview and may undergo an aptitude assessment. They will also undergo a review by external experts and may be required to give a demonstration of their teaching skills.
For more information, please contact:
Professor Timo Hämäläinen, Computing Sciences Unit, email@example.com, tel. +358408490777
Professor Mikko Valkama, Electrical Engineering Unit, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358408490756
Tenure track, Mikroelektroniikka, 2 tehtävää
Etsimme mikroelektroniikan alueelle kahta tenure track –tutkijaa (Assistant Professor), tenure track-professoria (Associate Professor) tai professoria
Tehtävät sijoittuvat Tampereen yliopiston Informaatioteknologian ja viestinnän tiedekunnassa Tietotekniikan ja Sähkötekniikan yksiköihin. Yhdessä nämä yksiköt kattavat laajan alueen ICT alueen tutkimus- ja koulutusaloista aina transistoritason ilmiöistä ihmisen ja teknologian vuorovaikutukseen. Etsimme hakijoita ensisijaisesti tietokonetekniikan ja sähkötekniikan alueille. Yhdessä nämä uudet tehtävät vahvistavat uutta strategista monitieteistä avaustamme System- on -Chip Hub:ia.
Valittujen henkilöiden odotetaan vahvistavan ja laajentavan ASIC / VLSI-suunnittelun osaamista tutkimalla ja kehittämällä mm. suunnitteluvirtauksia, arkkitehtuureja ja piirejä sekä tuotannossa laatutestattuja prototyyppisiruja tuleville System-on-Chip:eille, joita tarvitaan mm. AI, 5G, IoT, kuvantamis-, video-, robotiikka- ja tietoturvasovelluksissa. Valittavat henkilöt voivat osaamisprofiilinsa mukaisesti painottua esittämilleen mikroelektroniikan osa-alueille.
Lue tarkempi tehtävän kuvaus, vaatimukset ja hakuohjeet englanninkielisestä ilmoituksesta yllä.
Hakuaika tehtävään päättyy 25.10.2020 klo 23.59 EEST ( GMT+2 / 21.59 UTC).
- Ilmoitusnumero: 1387408
- Tehtäväalue: Tutkimus/kehitys
- Työsuhde: Vakituinen työsuhde
- Työn tyyppi: Kokopäiväinen
- Hakuosoite: www-osoite
- Sijainti: Tampere
- Lisätietoja antaa: Professor Timo Hämäläinen, Computing Sciences Unit, email@example.com, tel. +358408490777 and Professor Mikko Valkama, Electrical Engineering Unit, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358408490756