Summer internships in data science and business intelligence
Data is a core component of future travel. We are looking for innovative and productive summer workers for our growing year-old team. Our aim is to use data to enable a more personalized customer experience, optimize business and plan processes in addition to enhancing product development and service design. Our team consists of professionals in data science, data engineering, cloud computing, business intelligence, and customer insights.
Why should you apply?
In our team you will be able to further your technical skills as well as gain understanding of the business. We’ve hit the ground running which you’ll see especially in our agile development and in an experimental working culture. The data and analytics platform we are building is already in production in AWS’s cloud, and data-science work is possible in a scalable cloud environment. The data is flowing real time and we have a bunch of analytics applications ready for business. The team shares a common curiosity of technology and a desire to do something that helps hundreds of thousands of travellers to choose the environmentally more sustainable option.
Our cloud warehouse has plenty of new data sources which are waiting to be utilized: VR passenger traffic owns tons of data on travelling and tickets (sales, seat reservations, check events, restaurant car sales), customers (CRM, Google Analytics), work shifts, train schedules, and punctuality.
Possible summer job areas
There are a lot of things we need help with! Here are some of the most important areas and the more specific requirements for each of them. Please let us know in your application which one interests you the most.
Junior Data Scientist
- Our models in production include passenger count predictions, customer identification and segmentation, anomaly detections, rolling stock rotation optimization, and work shift optimizations
- Your work could be focused on improving one of the current solutions, creating a new proof of concept for a new use case, or a deep dive analysis on a single topic
- Relevant skills:
- Studies in computer science, mathematics, statistics, operations research, physics, or other relevant fields
- Understanding of analytics and modelling techniques relevant to the selected topic (e.g. machine learning, clustering, classification, regression, text analytics, time-series forecasting, non-convex optimization, Mixed Integer Linear Programming)
- Experience with Python. Knowing the basics of the key libraries (e.g. pandas, sklearn, XGBoost, matplotlib, PuLP) is an advantage
- Working with AWS or other cloud platforms is an advantage
Junior Business Intelligence Developer
- Improve our self-service BI and analytics capacity
- Develop analytics applications
- Participate in building data driven decision-making and fact-based leadership culture
- Relevant skills
- Studies in economics, industrial management, computer science, user-centred design or other relevant fields
- Experience with Power BI or other Business Intelligence tools (Qlik, Tableau)
- Understanding of interactive dashboards, dynamic reporting and data storytelling
- Proficient Finnish-language skills since business users are Finnish speaking
Other requirements for both positions
- You are studying in a master’s program and are within 2 years of graduating
- Proficient in SQL
- Good communication and data-visualization skills
- Proactive team player
- Business and target-oriented: you like challenges!
Today, VR is a rapidly changing company which offers its employees many opportunities to develop and offers a wide range of challenges. Using data in business is now shaking up the way we work, and you have a chance to make your mark on how one of Finland’s biggest companies takes advantage of data. In addition to a competitive salary, we can offer a wide range of other benefits and of course unlimited free travelling on trains!
The position is in VR’s Passenger Traffic Unit and is based at Iso Paja, Pasila, Helsinki, Finland. The duration of the internship is 3 months and the start date is flexible.
Deadline for applications is 31st January. To apply, click on link “Jätä hakemus” from bellow. The questions are unfortunately only in Finnish, but free to fill your application in Finnish or English.
- Heikki Pulkkinen, Data Scientist, +358 41 437 7542, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joonas Jäspi, BI Developer, +358 44 023 2583, email@example.com