Staff Scientist (Ihmisen ja teknologian vuorovaikutus/Human Technology Interaction)
Tampereen yliopistolla on korkealaatuinen ja nykyaikainen tutkimusinfrastruktuuri ihmisen ja tekniikan vuorovaikutuksen tutkimukseen. Infrastruktuuri koostuu useista ajantasaisista tutkimuslaboratorioista, jotka mahdollistavat tutkimuksen psykologisista ja psykofysiologisista mittauksista pelaamiseen, e-urheiluun ja laajennettuun todellisuuteen. Tutkimusinfrastruktuuri tukee tutkimushankkeita tarjoamalla pääsyn korkealaatuiseen ja uusimpaan tekniikkaan, tietoihin ja niihin liittyvään asiantuntemukseen. Tutkimuslaboratoriot ovat avoinna koko tiedeyhteisön käyttöön ja tällä hetkellä niitä hyödyntävät erityisesti hyvin tunnustetut tutkimusryhmämme mm. Gamification Group, Game Research Lab ja Tampere Unit for Computer- Human Interaction (TAUCHI).
Staff Scientistin pääasialliset tehtävät liittyvät ihmisen ja teknologian vuorovaikutuksen tutkimukseen liittyvän infrastruktuurin ylläpitoon, kehittämiseen ja hyödyntämiseen. Tehtävänä on erityisesti alkuvaiheessa kehittää pelillistämiseen ja lisättyyn todellisuuteen liittyvää tutkimus/testausympäristöä. Tehtävässä on mahdollisuus myös osallistua tutkimustyöhön ihmisen ja teknologian vuorovaikutusta tutkivan yhteisön tutkimusprojekteissa.
Lue tarkemmat tiedot tehtävästä ja hakuohjeet alla olevasta englanninkielisestä ilmoituksesta.
Jätäthän hakemuksesi yliopiston sähköisellä hakulomakkeella (linkki löytyy tämän ilmoituksen alta).
Hakuaika tehtävään päättyy 24.5.2019 klo 23.59.
Tampere University has invested significantly in modern infrastructures related with Human-Technology Interactions. Currently there are several high-quality research laboratories with up-to-date equipment enabling research that extends from behavioral and psychophysiological measurement up to gaming, esports and Extended Reality (XR). These infrastructures provide essential support for academy and industry-driven projects by providing access to high-quality, state of the art and emerging technology, equipment, data and related expertise. Highly recognized research groups, such as Gamification Group, Game Research Lab, and Tampere Unit for Computer- Human Interaction (TAUCHI) have benefited most of the infrastructures which are open for the use by the scientific community at large.
Now we are looking for a Staff Scientist to strengthen the required expertise in developing and keeping up these unique research facilities.
Staff Scientists are academic personnel who are responsible for specialist activities related to research, providing support to teaching and research staff. The responsibilities of Staff Scientists involve the use and development of research infrastructures and specialist research equipment. Their individual job descriptions are defined in relation to the University’s strategic needs and include teaching, research and the provision of services.
The diverse operations of the Human-Technology Interaction-related infrastructures at Tampere University require a devoted Staff Scientist to run day-to-day operations, and to represent the infrastructures while interacting with research communities. The primary duties of the Staff Scientist to be recruited are:
- to maintain and to develop the Human-Technology Interaction infrastructures at Tampere University. The use of these infrastructures varies but is primarily related to interactive media/technology with specific focus on gaming/esports & XR
- to organize the day-to-day operations at the infrastructures
- to assist research communities in utilizing the infrastructure facilities
- to follow the trends in emerging technologies and research in order to plan the infrastructure development and keeping it up-to-date
- to develop an extensive gaming/XR multiplayer experiment/testing facility and assist researchers in utilizing the different psychobehavioral and -physiological measurement equipment as such and in combination with various human-technology interaction technologies
- to participate in research projects and project funding acquiring related to HTI, gaming and XR.
- to work toward attracting talented students: formulate MSc thesis topics, organize seminars and workshops
- to maintain the relationship with other relevant infrastructure facilities on university, national and European level
This position requires the following experience and expertise:
- documented motivation and deep interest towards the area documented in job description.
- wide knowledge and practical skills on the state of the art and emerging HTI technologies
- wide knowledge and practical experiences on technologies to measure human behavior extending from behavioral measurements to psychophysiological measurements. Examples of measurements are reaction times, cognitive functions, emotion ratings, electricity of facial muscles, neurophysiological measurements.
- understanding and experience on physiological/neurophysiological signal processing
- an applicable doctoral degree is required. Your background degrees can vary from Computing, IT, Electronics, Psychology, Human-Technology/Computer Interaction etc.
- motivation and ability to put your hands on in tuning research facilities and equipment (I.e. from wires to software) for various needs in the research labs.
- good social interaction skills
- good scientific, presentation and communication skills in English
- experience in managing research projects and establishing research infrastructure facilities
Tampere University is a global leader in game culture and gamification research and has a strong focus on different aspects of research on extended reality. We offer the ability to work with world-renowned games, gamification and XR scholars, and an extensive network of societal and industrial collaboration partners. Tampere University also offers great opportunities for researchers to develop their careers in an international setting and on emerging topics such as esports, XR gaming and hybrid media formats.
The position will be filled on a permanent basis. The appointment is expected to commence as soon as possible, as mutually agreed. A trial period of six months applies to all new employees.
The salary will be based on both the job demand and the employee's personal performance in accordance with the University Salary System. The minimum starting salary will range between 3800-4500 EUR/month. Higher salaries may be agreed dependent upon experience and/or performance.
Tampere, located between two big lakes, is Finland’s second largest city area and the biggest inland city in the Nordic countries. The nature is close everywhere you turn your head in Tampere. This together with a strong tradition in industry make Tampere a unique environment for living and working. At present the region hosts a great deal of industry and service businesses, and the City of Tampere is a major hub for the Finnish ICT industry. For more information on Tampere, please check VisitTampere and BusinessTampere.
Finland provides one of the most advanced and comprehensive social security in the world. It includes for example sickness benefits, various family benefits and a comprehensive healthcare system. For more information on Finland, please check InfoFinland and This is Finland.
How to apply
Please submit your application through our online recruitment system. The closing date for applications is 24 May 2020 (at 23.59 EEST / 20.59 UTC). Please write your application and all accompanying documents in English and attach them in PDF format.
Applications should include the following documents:
- Letter of motivation (max. one page) explaining how your research interests, skills, and experience are relevant to the position.
- Curriculum Vitae according to TENK guidelines
- List of publications according to Academy of Finland guidelines (please indicate or highlight five publications deemed most relevant for the position)
For more information, please contact:
Prof., Vice dean for research Juho Hamari, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 50 318 6861