Sr R&D Manager
Thermo Fisher Scientific Oy
Sr. R&D Manager
The Sr. R&D Manager is responsible for providing leadership and technical strategy for the R&D/Engineering Team in Vantaa, Finland. The current product portfolio includes handheld manual and electronic pipettes, automated liquid handling, microplate readers with multiple detection technologies (photometry, fluorometry and luminometry), incubator shakers and washers, PCR/qPCR instruments and magnetic bead separation systems. This individual will lead the team to create high-value new products and improve the current core product base. He/she will work closely across internal and external partnerships to lead innovation and ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of superior products.
- Lead a team of approximately 35 engineers and managers; responsible for coaching and career development
- Provide leadership to the entire product development effort from concept through commercialization
- Collaborate locally and globally with other business functions and R&D teams to accomplish project, department, and business objectives
- Take ownership of the complete R&D portfolio, including budgeting and resource planning, as well as cost, schedule and performance of projects
- Support business strategies by engaging in product and technology roadmaps, business development, and strategic planning
- Communicate openly, proactively, and frequently across a highly matrixed organization and at all levels of the organization concerning R&D activities
- Manage and report group productivity metrics and trends; proactively take action to increase efficiency and productivity
- Leverage continuous improvement methods such as 5S, Lean, etc. to drive continuous improvement
- Develop and implement appropriate policies, standards and procedures for the R&D team
- Collaborate globally and locally with other business functions to direct appropriate support for manufacturing, sourcing, and quality functions
- Build and foster global networking for self and the entire team
- Assist in the development and review of quality, SOP, and other official documents required by the quality management system
- BS, MS or PhD in Engineering or related discipline (e.g. Mechanical, Materials, Chemical, Physics or Biological Engineering degree)
- A minimum of 10 years work experience for BS, or 8-years with MS or PhD degree
- A minimum of 5 years professional leadership experience
- Strong leadership capabilities including employee development, budgeting, change management, recruiting and resource allocation
- Experience working in a cross functional, matrix organization with global work teams
- Experience in intellectual property, invention disclosure and filing management
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Ability to travel internationally
- Comfortable and capable of communicating at all levels of the organization
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English and Finnish
We look forward to receiving your application in English, including a cover letter, CV and salary request. Please apply via https://jobs.thermofisher.com/. Reference: 67851BR.
Application deadline by Wednesday the 16th of May.
Should you have any questions about Thermo Fisher Scientific and/or the position - please contact Essi Lovén-Kujala, Senior Recruiter, 050-3586635 on Tuesday the 8th of May between 9-10.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission - enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.