Software Lead, embedded
Vaisala is known for its weather measurement instruments, which are in class of their own in terms of quality and precision. Our customers value this and it is the reason why we are the market leader in weather instruments. We are proud of this, but we want to be even better and find new ways of bringing value to our customers. Trends, like global warming, smart cities and IoT will bring more interest towards measuring the environment and connectivity. They will create also new requirements and challenges for us in the future. We want to be ready and work hard on our part to bring solutions to our customers.
We are strengthening our development team with a software lead. You will have a key role in creating and coordinating technical solutions in the team as well as implementing our next generation weather instruments, including design, development, testing and designing the common development practices. This is excellent time to join our team if you want to have work with clear purpose and possibility to make your impact in new product development, to drive forward the software for the World’s best weather instruments. This position is in the Vaisala head office in Vantaa.
Your key responsibilities include
You will work as the technical lead of an embedded software team, which is responsible for weather instrument device software development. The team is part of a bigger program, where we work together with other software teams to solve cross-team dependencies and issues. You will also work closely with hardware engineers, scientists and the PO. Agile / lean way of doing things is in the core of the team. We work in six-week iteration cycles to provide functioning software. As the software lead you will be responsible for organizing the daily agile practices, iteration planning together with the PO and planning the tasks with the team along with your own software development tasks.
Who we are looking for
To be successful in this role, we´re searching for a candidate with the following qualifications.
• At least 5 years of professional working experience in developing embedded software. Skills doing software close hardware is mandatory.
• Skills to break software objectives into individual tasks to be implemented and taking responsibility on getting them done. Note: We are not expecting you to get things done yourself, when there are issues. We are working as a team and will help you on the way. Willingness to ask help and learn from each other is the key.
• Skills in planning, sharing and distributing the development work within the team, together with the team and the PO.
• Good communication/social skills
• Fluent in English
• Familiarity on ARM Cortex-M processor architecture.
• Good command of C language
• Continuous integration (CI). Creating unit/integration tests are crucial part of our development. Right attitude towards not breaking the code mainline and understanding why it’s important.
• Familiar with developing on top-of some RTOS.
• Familiar developing with git e.g. branches, PR process and working with one code mainline.
• Familiarity with agile / lean way of doing things.
• Basic level understanding of electronics and measurements
In addition to the above, we also value the following skills (these are not mandatory skills, since you will learn them on the way):
• Implementing algorithms to embedded systems. Understanding how to implement them in limited environment, so that they are efficient.
• Understanding how to design & implement small current consumption embedded software.
• Ability to design software so that it is re-usable and simplistic.
• Skills in automating the software development processes
• Experience or interest of measuring devices and systems
We are looking for an energetic person, who can help us building world-class products. You have a drive for delivering results and keeping to schedules. You are good at applying your own expertise and sharing knowledge with others.
What do we at Vaisala offer you?
We offer you a position in an enthusiastic and professional work community and an opportunity to work in a company with the mission of providing observations for a better world.
Please submit your application with salary request and CV latest August 24th, 2020 by completing the online application form. For further information, please contact Jukka Immonen (Development Manager), tel. 040-5037530 during Aug 4, 14-16 or Aug 7, 9-11.
The atmosphere at Vaisala buzzes with curiosity because in our line of work there are always things to discover and learn. We embrace new ideas and have bright colleagues from experienced experts at the top of their fields to young talents at the start of their careers.
We take pride in being pioneers who strive to bring about positive changes in both the society and environment, and our work is not done yet. Take advantage of this opportunity and join our team to make a difference!