Senior Researcher, Recycled feedstock
In what condition do we leave this planet for the next generation?
We are looking for a
Senior Researcher, Recycled feedstock
to join our Feedstock Research team in Porvoo.
Your part in Neste journey
It is a great time to join us!
Neste is already the world's largest producer of renewable diesel from waste and residue raw materials. Now we are committed to become a solution provider for chemical recycling and to support circular economy by providing innovative solutions based on waste plastic. Neste’s intent is to partly replace crude oil as refinery raw material by liquefied waste plastic. From 2030 onwards, Neste targets to process annually more than one million tons of plastic waste to new plastics, chemicals and fuels. We are now seeking a research minded technology professional who will work on developing the winning feedstock solutions to meet this ambition.
In your role, you will
- Identify and map potential plastic waste and other recycled feedstock streams and conduct research on their quality, availability, technical properties and behaviour in processing
- Conduct research on recycled feedstock properties before and after liquefaction
- Research preprocessing technologies (e.g. sorting, fractionation) to enable utilization of plastic waste fractions in chemical recycling, both in house and with partners
- Provide feedstock supply organisation with technical support and participate in partner meetings
- Set-up and develop a systematic evaluation processes for recycled feedstocks
- Proactively search for and cooperate with recycled feedstock related consultants and research partners
- Plan, organise, lead and report internal and external analysis and experimental work related to recycled feedstock
- Steer external research activities and work in research consortia steering groups
- Support long-term strategy work for sustainable raw materials
You will work closely with Neste R&D, feedstock supply development and business units and with external feedstock and research partners to ensure the success of our long-term sustainable raw material strategy. Our work combines accountability, cooperation, and the desire to develop and renew. Working safely at all times is essential to all of us.
We have a small team of experts working in Feedstock Research. Our team contributes to the development of new feedstocks and their value chains. We are responsible for delivering feedstock competence and preprocessing solutions enabling the use of different feedstocks for the production of fuels, chemicals and materials.
Keys to success in this role
The best combination of experiences, skills and background is
- Master's degree or higher from relevant field (e.g. Polymer Technology, Organic Chemistry or Chemical Reaction Engineering)
- Knowhow related to plastics and plastics recycling
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience from R&D tasks, engineering or technology consulting, preferably related to recycled plastic materials or plastic products
- Track record of cooperation in-house and with partners
- Track record of building networks including international fora
- Strong organization skills, systematic way of working and experience in setting up processes
- Experience from project management
- Fluent English and excellent communication skills, both spoken and written
- Willingness to travel
We also value
- Experience and knowhow of plastics compounding or packaging industry
- Experience from business development related tasks or co-operation
- Knowhow related to plastics products, their structures and chemical compositions
- Knowhow of plastic waste fractions, their compositions and fractionation technologies
- Knowledge of waste plastic decomposition products
- Experience in thermochemical processing of plastics (e.g. pyrolysis)
- Understanding oil refining processes is considered as an advantage
- Knowhow related to municipal solid waste
In accordance, we believe in people who find new ways of doing things – people for whom safety and sustainability are part of their professional skills. Customer mindset is essential to all of us at Neste and we work hard to find the best solutions for our customers. We believe everyone is a leader and share a natural desire for collaboration. If all this, as well as our values on responsibility, cooperation, innovation and excellence resonate with you, you are the talent we are looking for.
Come and do meaningful work in a community that has its eyes set forward!
If you have any questions regarding the process or the position, please get in touch with Miia Laamanen (Head of R&D, Feedstock and Pretreatment) on 15 November during 12-14 pm or on 25 November during 12-14 pm.
Please submit your application by 28 November, 2019.
The recruitment process includes interviews, assignment and aptitude testing.
The person selected for the position must pass a health examination including a drug test. A security clearance is obtained for the persons with their consent.