The Senior Internal Auditor will support the Regional Heads and Group Head of Internal Audit to implement and embed a risk-based assurance strategy and set of plans which are aligned with the nature, size and complexity of Lowell and its environment. The role can suit somebody looking for a long-term career in Internal Audit or, alternatively, someone who is seeking to develop their knowledge, bank of experience, communication skills and profile in Lowell over a 2-3 year period.
In summary, the Senior Internal Auditor will be required to:
* Understand the organisation's risk profile in the context of its strategic objectives and plans in order to effectively input to the risk-based internal audit planning process
* Lead on internal audit assignments with support and oversight from the Regional Heads
* Communicate effectively (in the written and verbal form) and collaboratively with peers in the Internal Audit function and stakeholders across Lowell
* Build and maintain constructive working relationships with key stakeholders of the Internal Audit function across Lowell
* Provide a positive contribution to the development of the Internal Audit function and the Lowell risk and internal control environment
As such, this role will provide the successful candidate with exposure to a range of stakeholders (including senior management) and subject matter across Lowell. Therefore, applications would be appreciated from individuals from all technical backgrounds (for example, Risk, Finance, Commercial and IT) with a genuine interest in risk management, internal control and, most importantly, Internal Audit. Whilst previous internal audit and risk management experience would be preferred, it is not essential. Intellect, strong communication skills and enthusiasm for the role are of much greater interest.
The role is based in Leeds. However, there will be an opportunity for the successful candidate to gain exposure to their peers and stakeholders in the Nordic and DACH regions. The function strives to ensure that its team members enjoy a work-life balance.
* Support the development of the risk-based Internal Audit assurance strategy, delivery plan and the processes which underpin them.
* Plan, lead and deliver audit reviews, ensuring they are completed in line with the Group Internal Audit methodology, to a high standard and within the allocated days and budget that is set.
* Ensure that the progress of reviews is understood and that any potential issues and/or control gaps are discussed and validated with key stakeholders as they arise on a 'no surprises' basis.
* Prepare and present audit findings to the UK Head of Internal Audit, Senior Audit Manager, auditees and key business stakeholders, as appropriate.
* Prepare written reports that detail the audit findings, the root causes of them and proportionate recommendations in accordance with the Lowell Risk Appetite.
* Conduct ad hoc reviews and special investigations as requested from time to time by the UK Head of Internal Audit and/or Group Head of Internal Audit.
* Assist in the monitoring of agreed Internal Audit actions to allow for the closure of audit findings and associated reporting, in line with the Group Internal Audit methodology.
* Provide feedback to and receive feedback from peers across the Internal Audit function (including the UK Head of Internal Audit and the Group Head of Internal Audit).
* Work with peers across Internal Audit to support the development of its working practices.
* Demonstrate an understanding and interest in Lowell and its environment (including the strategic, commercial and regulatory factors) on a current and forward-looking basis to ensure that audit work is proportionately focused and meets (internal and external) stakeholder needs and expectations.
* Proactively keep up to date with any mandated Chartered Institute of Internal Audit (CIIA) guideline changes.
* Develop relationships with key stakeholders in order to raise the profile of Internal Audit and generate business buy-in for the work that is delivered.
* Work with the Group Head of Internal Audit and UK Head of Internal Audit to effectively communicate the role of the Internal Audit function.
* Promote effective risk management across Lowell.
* If you are from an internal audit background, at least 2 years of experience in the delivery of Internal Audit assignments, including the:
* Completion of planning and fieldwork; including the identification and evaluation of risks and associated controls, and the design and delivery of testing strategies;
* Delivery of feedback to management in a sensitive and diplomatic manner;
* Clear and concise articulation risks, risk exposures and the root cause of them, as well as proportionate recommendations to address them in audit reports.
If you are not from an internal audit background, we expect you to have experience of:
* Providing feedback in a sensitive and diplomatic way to management and peers;
* Identifying, assessing and introducing controls to proportionately mitigate risks in accordance with Risk Appetite in a 1st line role or facilitating/monitoring it in a 2nd line Risk or Compliance role
* Report writing
* Strong and demonstrable experience of effective stakeholder engagement and relationship management.
* Hold a recognised professional qualification (CIMA, ACA, ACCA, CIPFA, IIA, IRM, CISA, etc.), or be able to clearly demonstrate sufficient relevant practical experience and knowledge.
* Financial services experience is preferred but not essential.
Business and Personal Leadership/skills and attitudes
* Ability to work in a logical, organised and analytical manner
* Ability to work pro-actively using initiative to solve problems and address challenges
* Ability to work overseas (i.e. DACH and Nordics)
* Good written and verbal communication skills, including influencing skills
* Ability to work both as part of a team and individually
* Ability to prioritise activities and manage several tasks concurrently
* Ability to work to tight timelines
* Attention to detail and working with a high level of accuracy
* Ability to identify and escalate issues on a timely basis
* Confidentiality, discretion, diplomacy and professionalism
How we say thank you
You have a huge impact on our success and our rewards reflect this. With us you'll get:
* A competitive salary and annual pay reviews
* A quarterly bonus for a job well done
* 3% flexible benefits; whether you're into fitness or extra holidays, there's something for you.
* Want more?
* Our on-site subsidised restaurant serves great food all day.
* Cancel your gym membership we have one onsite, it's free!
* Keep your travel costs down with a free shuttle bus from Leeds City Centre.
Once you get here, you'll still be going places. We really want to work with you to make your career what you want it to be, so we offer a load of different opportunities to help you develop.