Scientist in Circular Economy
Geological Survey of Finland
Scientist in Circular Economy
The Geological Survey of Finland (GTK) is looking for a scientist to work within the Circular Economy Solutions Unit in the city of Outokumpu, Finland. The GTK Mintec in Outokumpu hosts a unique research facility, including modern mineralogical and mineral processing laboratories, as well as a full-scale pilot plant.
Your main task will be working as a researcher and a project manager in jointly funded and commercial research project. Projects are mainly focusing on the sustainable beneficiation of primary and secondary mineral-based materials.
You are expected to apply different concentration and beneficiation methods in the project implementation. We appreciate good knowledge on comminution, wet and dry concentration methods and dewatering of the concentrate. In addition, developing and utilizing of different hydrometallurgical methods are part of your job.
You must have good knowledge of different funding instrument e.g. H2020, EIT RM, BF etc. You will actively be involved in preparation, implementation and management of tenders, bids, and research and development projects.
What we expect
- We expect you to have a MSc in chemistry, chemical engineering, mineral processing or material science, with 1-2 years additional relevant multidisciplinary experience
- You have a great willingness to study and develop new methods for recycling of battery metals from different sources e.g. wastes
- You have an excellent skills of spoken and written English
- You are a team player, but also take the initiative and work independently
- You should be passionate about learning new things, work well under pressure, and have good prioritization skills
- Capability and willingness to travel in Finland and globally, when Covid19 allows
- A PhD degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, mineral processing or material science. We also appreciate a will to get PhD degree in these fields.
- Good knowledge in processing technologies such as comminution, classification, gravity separation, magnetic separation, flotation and leaching.
- An ability to publish scientific articles in scientific journals
- Eligibility, experience and success in applying for National, European and international funding applications
- Proven competence in research project development, funding acquisition and day-to-day management
What we offer
GTK Mintec offer an access to laboratory and pilot scale studies in different processing techniques supported by a wide range of complementary analytical techniques for chemical and mineralogical analysis. GTK is an international and diverse work community where everyone’s input is valued. Our employees have the opportunity to influence their own work. At GTK we are determined to renew our operations and expertise. We take care of our employees’ wellbeing with our extensive occupational healthcare and wide range of activities that support wellbeing at work. Find out more about us: www.gtk.fi/en/careers-at-gtk/
Information about pay
The total salary at the beginning of employment will be approximately EUR 3 460-4 180 per month.
We may conduct a personal background check on the person selected for the job with the person’s consent (security clearance act 726/2014). For more information about the security clearance process and the rights of subjects of background checks, please visit www.supo.fi/en
The position is permanent. The starting date is 1.3.2021, or later by agreement.
For further information, please contact Team Manager (tel. +358 40 758 6892, e-mail email@example.com or Chief of Pilot Plant Arno-Matti Kirpala (tel. +358 29 503 5860, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org). Contacts during business days between 8am and 4pm (EET).
Please send your application with your motivation letter and CV through the Valtiolle.fi service by 16:15 (EET) on 15.1.2021, using service key 32-1133-2020.