Research Trainee / Scientist, material research in nuclear waste management
Form of employment: Full time, Fixed term
Locations: Espoo, Finland
Job area: Nuclear safety
Application period: Thursday, March 07, 2019 - Wednesday, April 10, 2019
VTT has a wide range of research and development activities concerning nuclear waste management, radiochemistry, decommissioning and nuclear safety in general. The topic of interest here is material research with focus on bentonite clay. The research includes both experimental work and modelling, but the exact topic will be tailored based on your background. An expected result of the research is a doctoral thesis on mechanical behaviour of bentonite. The work will be a part of the Finnish Research Programme on Nuclear Waste Management (KYT2022) and Euratom research programme within H2020.
With us you will be responsible for
- Learning research and project work in our team of experienced scientists
- Conducting experiments on mechanical behaviour of compacted bentonite clay in our new laboratories at the Centre for Nuclear Safety
- Compiling the experimental data to material models and conduct simulations with them.
The focus will be decided based on your strengths and phase of studies. You will be also cooperating closely with other research organisations both internationally and in Finland.
We expect you to have
- A higher degree or close to finished studies in physics, chemistry, or other relevant field – completion of a master’s thesis is possible as part of the work
- Good communication skills in English.
In addition, the following skills are an advantage:
- Experience in research
- Previous experience in mechanical material testing and continuum mechanics
- Skills in experimental research and familiarity with modelling
- Using COMSOL Multiphysics or similar modelling software
- The capability to communicate in Finnish.
We also value writing skills for publishing in scientific journals and for compiling research reports and proposals.
As a person you are
Open-minded problem solving team player who will be keen to participate actively in progressing common goals. You get energy from challenges and are able to handle many things at the same time without too high pressure. You can work independently but enjoy also working with colleagues having a different cultural background and/or competence. You have good communication skills and respect the work of your colleagues.
Challenging and interesting projects with international and domestic partners and customers. VTT Ltd has a good reputation both in Finland and abroad. We are able to utilise the multidisciplinary competences to make solutions for our customers and society. Our personnel are committed to make highlights together.
The length of the employment is negotiable and will depend of the graduate's/candidate's phase of studies.
For further information
For more information, please contact Research Team Leader Suvi Karvonen (+358403562536). Available on 11.3. and 14.3. at 10-15.
We look forward to hearing from you: Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system by 10.4. at the latest.