Research Team Leader, Security assurance
We are now looking for Research team leader (RTL), to Security assurance team in Connectivity research area, to ensure research excellence, which is our most important differentiator, in the team.
Excellence is built by a common, ambitious research and customer agenda in the research team and by leading everyone in the team through substance.
Description of the Research Area: Our focuses in Connectivity Research Area are wireless communications networks and cybersecurity. Main customer segments include telecom, space and especially NewSpace, defense and security. Cyber security research divides into three teams: cybersecurity, applied cryptography and security assurance. Security Assurance team’s focus is on vulnerability analysis, security testing, security metrics and measurement, and trusted platforms.
In this position you have the opportunity to think big, influence strongly different sectors of industry and society and leave your mark for the bright future. At VTT you can every day exceed yourself.
As a Research Team Leader you are responsible for the research agenda of your team. As one of the key researchers in the team, you lead research and participate in research and customer work yourself. With your high ambition level and goal-oriented mindset, you ensure the high quality as well as high impact of the research work for customers and the society. As member of the research area leadership team, you find ways to combine competences and build collaboration to ensure wider impact.
This is a line manager role, so you are responsible for coaching the team and team members’ performance as an inspirational leader. Recruitment and competence development and renewal are your key priority. Preferably, you are experienced in leading change and winning through people.
This is a key role in the organization in which you will have the opportunity to build and drive forward the impactful research and to solve customer challenges. You will be the spokesperson for the research topic and take an active role in promoting its visibility.
Main responsibilities in substance leadership:
• Leading and participating in the customer work
• Leading team’s project portfolio preparation and execution
• Ensuring high-quality research (research ethics, publications and doctoral thesis, IPR)
• People leadership with coaching style - wellbeing, attracting, retaining, recruiting and developing talents ensuring continuous competence development
• Ensuring high quality preparations of new projects in the team
• Fostering relationships with relevant key stakeholders
• Responsibility for developing an ambitious and visionary agenda for research excellence and impact
• Participation for research area leadership team work, especially from research excellence and impact point of view
We expect you to have
You have excellent substance knowledge and understanding of the team’s research content. Preferably, you have PhD degree in the relevant field. You have a strong track record in driving excellence in the research work. As a leader, you want to create positive drive and get people excited by coaching and setting ambitious targets together with the team.
You have good communication skills with the ability to build collaboration and networks with different stakeholders. You are familiar with different funding instruments such as EU H2020 and Business Finland. You are proficient in English language.
As a person you are
• Science and technology leader with visionary view of your substance area
• Customer centered with passion for solving customer challenges
• Strongly ambitious to achieve high goals
• Motivating people leader with the ability to recruit, retain and develop people.
VTT is a place to make a difference in collaboration with other brilliant minds. Our mission is to create impact that generates sustainable growth and wellbeing in society as well as in industry.
Our people are the core of the next generation VTT. Therefore, our personnel’s wellbeing, flexible work opportunities and competence development are key priorities for us.
With us, you can make an impact for a better future and you can be part of solving the biggest challenges of our time.
For further information
Interested and want to know more? Contact research area VP Pertti Raatikainen for more information by phone: +358-40-7224476 or e-mail: email@example.com.
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV as soon as possible, latest by 7.2.2020