Research Scientist, Reactor dynamics
Form of employment: Full time, Regular
Locations: Espoo, Finland
Job area: Nuclear safety
Application period: Friday, March 08, 2019 - Monday, March 25, 2019
Do you want to join our Reactor Analysis team, which is a part of VTT’s Nuclear Safety Research Area? Our team covers nuclear safety related topics including reactor dynamics, nuclear fuel behaviour, severe accidents, and radioactive dispersion and dose assessment.
With us you will be responsible for
We are looking for a research scientist / senior scientist for our reactor dynamics group. Our group does safety analyses for VVER, PWR and BWR power plants. Work will consist mainly of modelling of transients and accidents with dedicated computer codes that couple neutronics, thermal-hydraulics and plant models. We are expanding our code family with the TRACE code, and your task is to help us to take it into active use.
- Transient and accident modelling of nuclear power plants
- Plant modelling
- Nuclear power plant safety analyses
We expect you to have
We are looking for applicants interested in working in the nuclear energy research with some previous experience in the field. Master’s degree in engineering physics, physics, nuclear energy, power plant engineering, or similar field is required. We are looking for candidates with solid knowledge of nuclear power plants, reactor physics and thermal-hydraulics, with ability to apply and develop computing methods and codes. Experience on TRACE code or other system code would be beneficial, and we also appreciate knowledge of regulations and safety assessment of NPPs
- Master’s degree in engineering physics, physics, nuclear energy or power plant engineering.
- Experience on nuclear power plant modelling
- Solid knowledge of nuclear power plants, reactor physics and thermal-hydraulics
- Ability to apply and develop computing methods and codes
- Programming skills; capable to understand programs written in Fortran and C.
As a person you are
We a looking for a person, who can work as a member of a group with scientists with different length of work experience. You should be able to bring your own expertise to the group and do not hesitate to tackle complicated technical issues.
- Analytical mindset
- Capable and willingness to problem solving
- Good cooperation skills and willingness to work with researchers with different length of work experience
- Willingness to present and document own work
- Do not hesitate to learn new and complicated things
At VTT, we believe that our impact is built on scientific and technological excellence in all our work. Our people is the core of the next generation VTT. Our personnel’s wellbeing and competence development are key priorities. You will be a part of a creative and international working environment. We offer versatile, independent and challenging tasks and the needed support and coaching.
We offer a great opportunity to develop technological competences in Nuclear Safety area together with VTT´s top experts. In our group you have an opportunity for interesting work with different types of nuclear power plants. We offer also possibility for postgraduate studies.
For further information
For more information about the position, you can contact Elina Syrjälahti, Senior Scientist (Elina.Syrjalahti@vtt.fi, tel +358 20 7225017).