Research Professor: Silicon Photonics for New Applications
Establishing a Professorship in the field of Silicon Photonics for New Applications:
Silicon photonics (SiPh) is a technology for integrating photonic integrated circuits (PICs) on silicon chips. The concept and its potential scientific and economic impact resemble the well-known microelectronics technology that forms the foundation of our digital society. Photonics already plays an equally important role as the enabling technology for the internet and numerous other applications from industrial sensing to healthcare. Silicon photonics is the combination of these two technologies. It uses light and microelectronic fabrication technologies to generate, process and receive optical signals on Si chips.
VTT has built advanced SiPh technology around 3 µm thick silicon-on-insulator (SOI) waveguides, which are complemented with 12 µm thick SOI waveguides for low-loss fiber coupling and locally thinned waveguides for power-efficient and high-speed devices. This technology has been one of VTT's growth engines in the past few years, and it has become a driving force for the development of the Micronova cleanroom facility in Otaniemi, which is a major technological development hub in Espoo, Finland. The recent success has been achieved with the combination of unique technical advantages in the micron-scale SOI waveguides, scientific excellence and innovation, extensive collaboration networks around the world, strategic industrial partnerships, and an infrastructure that supports both research and small-volume manufacturing. VTT's previous development efforts in silicon photonics have been mostly driven by optical communication applications with some additional efforts for medical imaging, optical phase arrays and gas sensing applications.
We are now looking to reinforce our scientific excellence in the field of silicon photonics and to demonstrate its impact on new application areas, such as 3D imaging, tunable lasers, quantum computing & communication, neuromorphic computing, novel sensors and cryogenic photonics. For this, we are looking for a visionary Research Professor to further develop our SiPh technology towards the needs of multiple new application areas.
In this position, you will play a significant role in joint research community destined to boost research and development activities in Finland and internationally. You will participate in the building up of strategic partnerships with universities, RTOs and companies. Therefore, you should know key actors of the field, and to be aware of trends and major R&D activities in the national and international level.
You will work in close co-operation with the customers from different industries and be responsible for scientific credibility in the door opening of larger customer projects. You will be interacting with some of the world's leading scientific experts and application visionaries. Hence, you are required to have a combination of scientific knowledge and business sense.
With us you will be responsible for
- Continuing the development of VTT’s scientific excellence in silicon photonics
- Identifying and understanding new application areas for silicon photonics, such as those listed above
- Visionary development of silicon photonics technology and new application demonstrations to meet the present and future needs of customers and markets
- Beside scientific results, the outcomes should include IPR and new business innovations
- Building new interdisciplinary approaches and thought leadership in the area
- Mentoring and sparring of the researchers at VTT (especially supervising PhD works and postdocs) and preparing high impact scientific publications.
We expect you to have
Scientific excellence in silicon photonics and related application fields.
In addition, the successful candidate should:
- Have an in-depth theoretical and practical knowledge on integrated optics and photonic integrated circuits in general and silicon photonics in particular,
- Understand well at least some of the new application areas listed above, and
- Be committed to develop and demonstrate the capability of VTT's silicon photonics technology to meet the future needs of relevant customers and markets.
We also expect the candidate to have outstanding scientific and innovation merits in the field of integrated optics and related applications. Continuous strengthening of the scientific level is carried out in national and international collaboration. Therefore, we require strong experience in international and national networks, and proven capabilities to prepare, execute and lead large EU, international and national projects. Industrial experience and industrial stakeholder contact network are appreciated. The applicant should have a doctoral degree and preparedness to work and travel around Finland and internationally.
As a person you are
- Motivated to work in a customer-oriented, multidisciplinary and multi-cultural research organization
- Active on international research arenas and networks
- An inspiring leader
- Curious and open-minded, and able to combine different competencies for new solutions
- Innovative and entrepreneurial, identifying commercial opportunities from our research
- Excellent networker with good communication skills
- A role model, who will be promoting VTT’s values, spirit and culture in the organization and act according to VTT`s leadership principles
VTT’s role is to provide R&D services for the industry both nationally and internationally, which is obtained with internationally recognized scientific excellence.
We continuously upgrade and maintain a high level of expertise in the area. You will be a part of a creative, international and developing working environment. The tasks are versatile, independent and challenging, with support and coaching where needed. VTT is a modern, well-equipped working environment with competent, internationally oriented and highly trained personnel assisted by skilled business support professionals. The position of the Research Professor is fixed-term for five years with the possibility of a new five years period and/or permanent position.
Finland offers an exceptionally high standard of living and it has been ranked as the happiest country in the world in the World Happiness Report 2019 by United Nations. For more information about living in Finland, please visit following site (Why Finland): https://bit.ly/2lRbsD5.
Please read more about VTT Research Professor and Tenure Track: https://www.vttresearch.com/jobs/vtt-research-professor-and-tenure-track.
For further information
Please contact Tauno Vähä-Heikkilä, Vice President, Microelectronics, +358 40 758 7941 on
- Feb. 20th at 13:00-14:00 (EET)
- Feb. 12th at 14:00-15:00 (EET)
or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should consist of:
- A complete curriculum vitae, maximum of 10 pages
- A cover letter indicating your motivation for the position
- A complete list of publications (10 most significant publications marked)
- Your research vision as a research professor, maximum of two pages
Attachments are also possible to send by email: email@example.com.
Apply between 4 February 2020 and 8 March 2020 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: fixed-period