Research Manager, Energy and Chemistry
Do you want to join us in our inspiring work environment with brilliant colleagues to create together scientific and technological solutions for the benefit and competitiveness of our customers and the society? We are now looking for a visionary Research Manager to create impact with science-based innovations together with VTT’s experts and stakeholders. You will lead the research at the Energy and Chemistry research area.
In Energy and Chemistry research area, we create technologies and solutions enabling transition from fossil to bio and circular economy. The following five technology platforms i.e. thermochemistry, sustainable chemistry, hydrometallurgy, polymer development, processing and recycling, and AI driven process development are the very core of our R & D work. We conduct research from lab-to-pilot scale combined with computational modelling and concept evaluation. Our research excellence targets include development of low carbon technologies (e.g. CCUS, P2X processes) to mitigate the climate change, and development of conversion and recovery processes for waste and side streams to chemical products, bio fuels and oils as well as for non-renewable metals ensuring resource sufficiency. In addition, we excel at creating renewable or recyclable material solutions with the aid of chemical and polymer resin development and processing technologies.
With us you will be responsible for
As a Research Manager, you are responsible for high impact and quality research portfolio and its management at the research area. You understand customers and society's needs and opportunities by working in a challenge-driven way, and you steer the research agenda in such a way these needs and opportunities will turn into growth and prosperity together with other VTTers. You also identify research needs and competence gaps to ensure our renewal and competitiveness for the bright future. With your coaching and collaborative approach, you will lead and ensure scientific writing generating high impact peer-reviewed publications. You are responsible for reporting of self and jointly funded project portfolio.
You are familiar with public funding landscape nationally and European level proactively scanning various financial instruments and act accordingly. Proven track record of jointly funded projects is required. You have excellent research networking capability, and you coordinate RA responsibilities within those networks (e.g. participation in stakeholder events, proposal preparation work). You are passionate about connecting and integrating VTT disciplines and competences to meet application and solution needs of industries. You envision opportunities for co-creation exploiting energy and chemical technologies with your inspiring leadership style.
We expect you to have
• University degree at PhD level in relevant field
• Background in bio - circular economy in the context of new raw materials and their processing technologies, chemical conversions, and energy processes.
• Strong knowledge on national and international innovation systems and public funding as well as interactive approach with financiers
• Proven track record of jointly funded projects
• Wide international industrial, academic and societal networks, and proven stakeholder influencer
• Strong motivation to lead people and substance as well as proven skills in communicating and presenting
• Experience in interdisciplinary and networked R & D
You will report to the VP in the research area of Energy and Chemistry of VTT.
As a person you are
• Visionary, eager to innovate and go beyond the obvious
• Proactive and open-minded networker and playmaker
• Motivated to work in a customer-oriented, multidisciplinary research organization to create impact
• Ambitious to reshape the future with key enabling technologies – energy and chemistry
• Possess enthusiastic mindset that helps you create positive drive and get people excited
• Motivated to share, collaborate and coach young scientists in their career
• Well-organised with intrinsic “can do” - attitude
Working in a globally networked top-level research organization opens a fascinating spectrum of inspiring opportunities. VTT offers you the possibility to develop your competences and build your career path in countless ways. At VTT we simply set out targets a bit higher – join our #VTTpeople -community!
Please apply for the position with your CV and a motivation letter including salary request via the following link no later than Jan 15th, 2020.
For further information
Tuulamari Helaja, Vice President, Energy and Chemistry
tel. +358 405080318; email: email@example.com