R&D Lead Engineer, Systems
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow
greater access to cleaner energy.
Our R&D engineers and scientists develop breakthrough technologies that change the way the world works, and industries do business. We constantly push the limits of convention, while retaining our focus on delivering solid returns for our customers and shareholders. We are looking for an R&D Lead Engineer at ABB Oy, Marine and Ports in Vuosaari, Helsinki. In this position you will contribute significantly to successful project results in Azipod® X&V product development team.
- Working in Azipod® product development projects where you are responsible for concepting, designing, dimensioning and testing of systems consisting of mechanics, electrics, automation and software.
- Leading the development of the systems of your responsibility and making sure they function as desired. You will work in close co-operation with specialists of different fields and guide their work.
- Identifying and managing risks in research and development projects and in the wider organization.
- Proactively seeking and implementing initiatives to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction.
- As your technical knowledge increases, you will handle and give your opinion on internal and external questions concerning your area of responsibility, as well as provide technical support to stakeholders when needed.
- Living ABB’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues, and the business.
- A B.Sc. or M.Sc. in engineering or another relevant field.
- More than 2 years of work experience and ideally interdisciplinary background with knowledge and understanding of mechanics, electrics, automation and software, preferably in heavy machinery industry.
- Sound knowledge of product development and designing systems as well as experience in at least some of the following areas: mechanical or electrical engineering of machinery, sensor & measurement technology, instrumentation, automation & control component selection, inverter technology, control technology, power electronics.
- Even though you will not be a programmer, you need to be able to specify, communicate and document the requirements and functions clearly to a separate software team, as well as, to verify the functionality of designed systems. Therefore, some practical experience of machine automation programming is also helpful.
- Strong commitment towards safe work practices and dedication to following all relevant workplace safety guidelines.
- A high level of self-motivation, curiosity and desire to learn about new technologies.
- A collaborative approach to working, with strong leadership and communication skills.
- The ability to organize, manage and help the progress of various duties and projects related to own area of responsibility, as well as lead work done elsewhere.
- In addition, you can make analytical and independent decisions with good reasoning, have the will to learn, develop yourself and try new things. You can also give decent oral and written presentations.
- Good skills in MS Office.
- Knowledge of Profibus and ACS880 drive, EPlan, Teamcenter, MATLAB are beneficial.
- Travelling is required in this position, ranging from 10 to 30 days per year.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
• Working with our front-runner products ensures interesting technical challenges and possibilities to develop your competences.
• In R&D you will have interfaces to several internal and external stakeholders, such as customers, suppliers, delivery engineering, production, service etc.
• A position in a competent R&D team with good team spirit.
• Excellent economic situation and strong order book in the business line.
• Excellent possibilities for developing your competences and career e.g. as a technical specialist, into R&D project management or other duties in different functions.
Interested in joining the crew? Apply for the position with the job ID FI69479035 by August 31, 2019 at www.abb.fi/uralle.
If you have questions, contact Kai Karila, Manager, R&D, Azipod X&V, on working days between noon and 4 p.m., tel. +358503325840.