R&D Lead Engineer, Azipod® Automation
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB is a leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve their performance while lowering environmental impact. The ABB Group of companies operates in around 100 countries and employs about 147,000 people. To the shipping industry, ABB offers an extensive portfolio of integrated marine systems and solutions that improve the flexibility, reliability and energy efficiency of vessels. By coupling power, automation and advisory, proven fuel-efficient technologies and services that ensure maximum vessel uptime, ABB is in a unique position to improve the profitability of customers' business throughout the entire lifecycle of a fleet.
We are looking for an R&D Lead Engineer, Azipod® Automation at ABB Oy, Marine and Ports in Vuosaari, Helsinki. You will develop and create technologies, solutions and products for Propulsion Solutions business line, verify technology functionality and support stakeholders in your technology area. Working with our front-runner products ensures interesting technical challenges and possibilities to further develop your competences.
- Working in Azipod® product development where you are responsible for concepting, designing, dimensioning and testing of systems consisting of mechanics, electrics, automation and software.
- Coordination and lead of software development.
- Leading the development of the systems of your responsibility and making sure they function as desired. You will work in close co-operation with specialists of different fields.
- Delivering high-quality and cost-effective solutions that meet business requirements over the product life time.
- Proactively seeking and implementing initiatives to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction.
- As your technical knowledge increases, you will handle and give your opinion on internal and external questions concerning your area of responsibility, as well as provide technical support to stakeholders when needed.
- Living ABB’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues, and the business.
- A M.Sc. in automation, electrical engineering or another relevant field.
- More than 5 years of work experience and ideally interdisciplinary background with knowledge and understanding of mechanics, electrics, automation and software, preferably in heavy machinery industry.
- Sound knowledge of product development and designing systems as well as experience in at least some of the following areas: mechanical or electrical engineering of machinery, sensor & measurement technology, instrumentation, automation & control component selection, inverter technology, control technology, power electronics.
- The ability to specify, communicate and document the requirements and functions clearly to a separate software team, as well as, to verify the functionality of designed systems. Therefore, some practical experience of machine automation programming is also required.
- A high level of self-motivation, curiosity and desire to learn about new technologies.
- The ability to organize, manage and help the progress of various duties and projects related to own area of responsibility, as well as lead work done elsewhere.
- In addition, you can make analytical and independent decisions with good reasoning, have the will to learn, develop yourself and try new things.
- Knowledge of 800xA software and hardware, Profibus, ACS880 drive, EPlan and Teamcenter are beneficial.
- Fluent written and spoken communication skills in English.
- Ideally, you also have understanding about shipbuilding and marine environment.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Interested in joining the crew? Apply for the position with the job ID FI72144241 by December 15th, 2019 at www.abb.fi/uralle.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Heikki Kolisoja, Technology Manager, Propulsion Solutions, tel. +358 50 332 9248.