MECHANICAL ENGINEER, BASF Oy Harjavalta
We are now looking for a mechanical engineer to join BASF’s new battery material and chemical plant in Harjavalta, start from project support to after-project in operation maintenance role. The position is permanent and will start as soon as possible.
In this role, you will join the new site at the construction phase as part of the project team. You will be responsible for the mechanical equipment related activities in each phase and after the start up. These tasks include for example:
- Making sure the mechanical equipment activities for the project are in the overall time schedule and based on the project objectives
- Defining the project mechanical engineering standards and design basis
- Retrieve budgetary quotes for equipment and machinery and consider sourcing opportunities
- Risk assessment
- Functional leadership, coaching and guidance to engineering partner’s mechanical team.
- Supporting in the construction for installation by following the detailed engineering design, and commissioning
- Monitoring the detail engineering carried out by the contractor
- Assist in preparing the plant for a successful startup.
- Continuous improvement of plant reliability, EHS performance, economic performance and asset effectiveness regarding maintaining mechanical equipment & devices by developing maintenance concept/plan for the production plant and utilities and executing the plans focusing on safety devices/units management, preventive maintenance, spare parts management, contractor management, troubleshooting management, plant overhaul, cost management, new technology implementation, etc.
- Work out maintenance manual and instructions for key process equipment, safety devices in cooperation with vendors and production team, following plant reliability needs, EHS regulation and legal requirement.
- Plant/utilities equipment trouble analysis & shooting by implementation of on/off-line analytical test devices and technology, site work permit management, troubleshooting management with resource plan and spare parts management
- Lead maintenance contractors to implement maintenance plans, e.g. preventive maintenance, MOC, troubleshooting, plant overhaul, etc.
- Management of spare parts and vendor supports for mechanical equipment and devices in the plant and utilities.
- Support production optimization by engineering design, MOC and vendor support
In the later phases you will also participate in recruiting, training and leading of new mechanical engineers and technicians, as well as coordinating all expediting mechanical equipment activities.
We expect you to have a degree in engineering or related technology, or other corresponding education. You should also have previous experience in similar plant engineering roles where you have taken part in different mechanical activities, preferably in a chemical or mining/refining process plant. We also expect fluency in both Finnish and English, on top of which German is a plus. We also appreciate knowledge of metal precipitation and solids handling manufacturing processes.
In this role, you will join a new plant’s life cycle from the very start from project phase to running operation and be a crucial part in starting its project execution till operations. It also allows you to develop within the role, giving more challenging tasks and responsibilities as the plant is built. It is very possible to have managerial responsibilities later.
For further information, please contact Barona Engineering; Kristiina Vormala (040 837 4019), best available on Thursdays 1-2 pm.