Manager, Digital Operations Develoment
Are you looking to join a dynamic, innovation-driven, international company, building a better future for us all? UPM leads the forest based bioindustry into a sustainable, innovation-driven, and exciting future. The competence, integrity and drive of our people make us unique. We live by our values – trust and be trusted, achieve together, renew with courage.
We are now looking for a highly motivated Manager for Digital Operations Development. The position can be located in any UPM Biorefining location.
UPM Biorefining business area leverages the synergies of Pulp, Timber and Biofuels businesses. Focusing on growth, UPM Biorefining creates value and new business opportunities from wood and biomass originating solely from sustainable sources. UPM Biorefining has modern production sites in Finland covering three pulp mills, four sawmills and a biorefinery, as well as wood sourcing and forestry operations. In Uruguay, UPM runs pulp mill and plantation operations, and is currently building a new state-of-the-art pulp mill that is planned to be in full operation by end of 2022.
Greetings from your future colleague
“In addition to interesting and technically complex mill environment, UPM offers a working environment that supports self-development, new ideas and modern ways of working. Not only will you manage and participate in development initiatives , but also learn about new technologies, ways of working, and UPM Biorefining businesses. I’m looking forward to get a forward-thinking team-player in my team!” - Anssi Käki, VP, Pulp Supply Chain and Tools & Processes
What you’ll do
You drive initiatives that improve performance of UPM pulp mills. First, you will plan a program for digital operations development together with UPM colleagues and external experts. Then, you will resource and lead the implementation of this program. In addition, you will become the go-to expert regarding Pulp operations data assets and participate in building and implementing digital roadmaps in the wider Biorefining business context. Your role is critical in promoting data driven operations culture and implementing data strategy.
In this position, you’ll be:
- Planning and running a comprehensive operations excellence study with internal and external resources
- You’ll focus on mill core operations
- Including mill performance, organization, ways of working, current technology landscape, and exploration of on-going initiatives
- Covering of both existing four pulp mills and the on-going mill project
- Delivering the as-is analysis, conclusions and to-be proposal with business impact considerations
- Implementing the actions from the study as agreed with business management
- Coordinating and managing the required internal and external resources
- Managing the execution
- Reporting the progress to steering group
- Participating as manager or contributor in mill improvement initiatives related to data infrastructure, use of data, use of analytics, analytics tools, advanced process control, failure analysis, and so on
- An integral member of virtual data team working in data management domain across the organization together with Head of Data and UPM IT’s Data Management Office
Who you are
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Automation Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, or other applicable domain
- Development focused expert that understands how digital technologies can create value in process industry
- You have minimum five years' work experience from process industry
- You have proven project management skills
- Hands-on technical skills process in automation, process control, data analysis and operations/information technology interface are beneficial
- Project experience from operational excellence, OEE continuous improvement, lean or six sigma initiatives or similar are considered an asset
- You have good networking skills and ability to work in versatile work environments
- You are ready for moderate amount of traveling
- You communicate well in English; knowledge of Finnish and Spanish is an asset
This is what we offer for you
- Meaningful job: We are proud of what we do. Our work highlights the expertise of our personnel, the high quality of our products and the company's values.
- Inspired and motivated teams: We have highly skilled workforce. We are a multifaceted, international organisation that works as a team to achieve our shared objectives.
- Development opportunities: With us you can build up your expertise. We provide opportunities to support your development throughout every stage of your career.
- Responsibility for people and environment: Our ethical principles embrace people as well as the environment. We are always striving to build a more sustainable future.
We are looking forward to receive your application. To apply, please submit your application and CV via the link above no later than 2.4.2020.
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact VP, Pulp Supply Chain and Tools & Processes, Anssi Käki on 20.3. 9-10 EET or 25.3. 15-16 EET at +358405780874 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For support with submitting your application, please contact HR Service Center at email@example.com or +358 20 414 6600.
A security background check may be performed for those selected to UPM positions, in accordance with the company recruitment guidelines and the Security Clearance Act 726/2014.
UPM is a non-smoking workplace in Finland.