L1/PHY Firmware Programmer/Engineer, Altair Semiconductor, Oulu
We are now looking for our customer Altair Semiconductor Modem L1/PHY firmware programmer/engineer.
Altair Semiconductor, a Sony Group Company, is a leading provider of Cellular IoT chipsets, playing a pivotal role in realizing the vision of the Internet of Things (IoT). As the IoT expands to include all types of connected “things”, Altair’s ultra-low-power and ultra-small chipset solutions are turning Cellular IoT into reality. Our vision has changed what is possible for device makers that rely on us to connect millions of devices. Altair chipsets can be found in wearables, vehicle telematics, smart utility meters, personal & logistics trackers, home appliances, consumer electronics, and many other IoT devices. Our chipsets keep them connected to today’s LTE networks and ready for 5G IoT.
Altair Semiconductor is proudly shipping millions of units to customers around the world connecting to the world’s tier-1 cellular networks. Headquartered in Israel, Altair has offices in the U.S., China, India, Japan and Taiwan, and a R&D centre in Oulu, Finland.
What is this position about?
As a L1/PHY firmware programmer you will be responsible for developing and integration the LTE Physical Layer and L1 Layer firmware for Cellular IoT modem. The L1/PHY firmware is responsible managing the baseband and RF ICs, controlling the Software Defined Radio (SDR) and scheduling its tasks, and communicating with the upper layers of the LTE software stack.
As L1/PHY engineer, you are also responsible for the firmware integration, quality and conformity. Your background in 3GPP and other wireless standards, as well as your experience in real time C coding and HW/SW co-development will assist you in fulfilling requirements of this position. Altair’s modem has a unique architecture and based on your experience you should be able to develop and adapt the methodologies and work procedures you are already familiar with to deliver an excellent, super low power and stable L1/PHY software solution.
The platform you will be working is on Altair’s newest chipset, designed especially for the IoT market, highly integrated and operating at super low power. Although you will be leveraging legacy software components and infrastructure, we expect that while developing the technology you will also assist in evolving our infrastructure and software methodologies.
- Embedded firmware programming in Cellular IoT modem product and development of the L1/PHY code
- Definition of the firmware architecture, mapping to SW/HW elements
- Mapping the proposed modem algorithms, 3GPP and platform requirements into firmware components
- Contribution to the algorithmic concepts, fixed point implementation and other system aspects of the modem
- Defining software APIs with lower (DSP) and upper (L2 and above) software
- Involvement in the next generation platform definition and architecture based on your accumulated experience in the area of programming and testing
- Opportunity to work with the most recent cellular technology
- International and multicultural work environment
- Experienced colleagues offering they support if needed
- Modern office site with open office space, meeting rooms and laboratory
- Niche field – gaining experience in this field of technology will be your advantage in the future as well!
- BSC or MSC in electrical engineering, computer science or applied mathematics from university
- Understanding and experience in wireless modem technology, preferably cellular modems and related technologies
- All-around player, capable of understanding and even functioning at lower (algorithm, DSP) and higher (L1 control firmware) layers of the solution
- Typical engineering skills – problem solving, pragmatic approach, broad system view
- Experience with developing real time modem code running on RISC machine (MIPS, ARM, ARC) and controlling and scheduling of RF and BB ICs
- Experience developing and debugging code with and without RTOS
- Good understanding of fixed point concept and trade-offs
- Experience in power consumption optimization at system-level and implementation in software
- Good communication skills (oral and in writing) in English
Whilst the technical experience and talented engineering is very important for Altair, they also emphasize their work culture together with social and team-oriented personalities. Positive attitude towards work and life in general is Altair’s mindset for making the best work spirit.
Interested? Submit your application to Sharper as soon as possible! We start the interviews straight away when the potential candidates apply. The last day to apply is 02.02.2020. This is a fantastic opportunity to join the growing team of top ICT professionals in Oulu! For more information, please contact Recruitment Manager Anna-Leena Kontio +358 40 940 2481 (Monday-Friday 8.00-16.00). Alternatively, you may contact Head of Altair Semiconductor Finland, Markku Hiltunen, on Thursdays and Fridays 9 am to 11 am, on +358 40 543 1752.
Learn more about Sharper
Sharper is a recruitment and staffing agency specialized in expert and manager positions. We believe that finding the candidate who best fits to your organizational culture is as important as finding the candidate with certain professional competencies. At Sharper we work as a one team to ensure that our clients can benefit from the combined network and experience of the whole recruitment team. Sharper is a part of Studentwork Group and operates in Finland and Sweden.