, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Finance Directorate (FI), Treasury Department (TRES), Portfolio Management Division (PM)
at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a Head of Treasury Portfolio Management Division
. This is a full-time position at grade 7.
The term of this contract will be 4 years.Assessment Centres for selected applicants would take place in February 2020.
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.Purpose
The Head of Treasury Portfolio Management Division sits within the Leadership Team of the Treasury Department within our Finance Directorate. This position plays an integral role in leading a successful and dynamic team in achieving the Division and Department’s strategic and business priority goals, thus contributing to the success of the EIB’s mission, values and objectives.
You will be critical in ensuring the Treasury Department contributes to the achievement of the strong liquidity resilience of the EU Bank, by leading the Treasury Portfolio Management team, which is responsible for:
- the investment strategy and implementation of the Bank’s long term liquidity buffers through effective asset management according to the given risk appetite of EIB.
- managing the financial assets of third parties as required, and proposing and negotiating appropriate investment strategies and guidelines, together with their effective implementation and follow-up.
The core focus of this role will be to ensure a high level of team engagement and motivation through leadership and charisma aiming at contributing to the Treasury Department’s performance as one of the key ingredients in the Bank’s success.Specific post environment
Based in the dealing room of our Treasury, you must be comfortable working in a very dynamic and pro-active environment, and able to resist pressures from the financial markets with an impact on the Bank’s positions and portfolio valuations, and thus exposing your team to a high level of internal and external scrutiny. Stress resilience is a key requirement.Operating Network
Reporting to the Head of the Treasury Department, you will closely co-operate with the other Divisions of the Treasury, and with colleagues across the Finance Directorate, as well as with counterparts in the Legal, Risk Management and Financial Control functions of the Bank. Externally, you will represent the Treasury Portfolio Management team in the financial markets and develop relationships with the Bank’s counterparties.Accountabilities
People Management in the Division
- Inspire the team to achieve their own and the organization’s mission, communicate a clear sense of purpose for the team, generate enthusiasm and confidence
- Empower the team to perform their best and model desired behaviours
- Ensure that the staff within your Division has the right skills and competencies, aims and motivation to realise the formulated strategy, objectives and policies
- Make recommendation on recruitment and development of staff within the Division
Strategy and policy development within Portfolio Management
- Develop a strategy and policy for the Portfolio Management activity, for both the Bank’s own resources and third party money, with regard to medium and long term investments
- Chair the Portfolio Investment Committee and the Third Party Mandate Committee
Strategy and policy implementation for Management
- Establish (in cooperation with the Head of Department) and handle the resources and means to implement the strategy and policies in the most effective and efficient way
- Define, negotiate and lead the implementation of service legal agreements with external providers
Intervention in the execution of Portfolio management process
- Supervise and intervene when necessary in the execution of key area processes to efficiently manage liquidity, minimise risk and maximise return on portfolio activities and ensure a consistent application of policies
- Manage relationships with key external counterparties to enable efficient completion of portfolio management processes
- University degree, preferably in Finance, Economics or a Quantitative subject. Postgraduate or professional qualifications (such as CFA) would be an advantage
- At least 10 years relevant professional experience gained in a portfolio management environment (public sector experience would be an asset).
- Significant experience of managing and coaching staff, ideally in multicultural environments or international organisations, (for example contribution to: determining team resources and skills; establishing objectives; assessing performance; delegating and supervising tasks; guiding, motivating, coaching and providing feedback)
- Deep knowledge of Interest Rate Financial Markets and Instruments
- Proven track record in the development of strategy and management
- Ability to intervene in Information Systems process related issues
- Good command of all MS Office tools
- Fluent in English and/or French and a solid understanding of the other (*). Working knowledge of other EU languages would be an advantage
- Achievement Drive: Continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank's working languages
- Developing Others: Builds the long-term capability of others by guiding and developing them to make the most of their competence and potential, based on an accurate understanding of their true strengths and development needs.
- Strategic Thinking: Thinks about the long term organisation strategy and how to align to and implement it; comes up with useful new strategic insights.
- Team Leadership: Builds a high performing team, ensuring it is focused, motivated and inspired to achieve organisational objectives, encouraging performance excellence and addressing underperformance when required.
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
Deadline for applications: 9th January 2020
Please respond via the "Apply
We particularly welcome applications from women and persons with disabilities. No recruitment agencies please.