Metsä Group’s innovation company, Metsä Spring Ltd, was established in May 2018. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Metsäliitto Cooperative. Metsä Spring’s main objective is to develop Metsä Group’s business ecosystem in the long run. In practice, Metsä Spring invests worldwide in promising startups and in Metsä Group spinout companies, and executes different R&D&I projects through these portfolio companies. Currently Metsä Spring’s investment portfolio comprises three projects. The first project aims to commercialise a new technology for the production of textile fibres from Metsä Group’s wood-based paper pulp. A joint venture between Metsä Spring and the Japanese ITOCHU Corporation has built a world-class demo plant in Äänekoski, which is now in the start-up phase. The role of the demo plant is to develop the new technology further and to lay the foundation for a possible next scale-up phase.
Metsä Spring is now looking for a
to coordinate the development work related to ionic liquids and textile fibres within Metsä Group, as well as to support the start-up of the demo plant and the continued development of the specific process used in the demo plant. This Development Manager position is of permanent nature and it does not require working in shifts. The aim is to fill the position as soon as possible.
Your role in the future Metsä
You are coordinating the development work related to ionic liquids and textile fibres within Metsä Group. In this context you are our primary contact in various relevant R&D activities and towards the main partners, such as universities, research institutes and companies. You are naturally also a key resource in terms of various publicly-funded projects that are focused on the topic in question (i.e. this includes interaction with the European Commission’s R&D&I arms and with Business Finland).
You also coordinate the R&D work related to the demo plant (several persons involved). In this role you will also interact with the key equipment suppliers. In general, you plan, execute and evaluate projects related to the topic in question. You are also supporting the work that aims to create a revised business plan for the ionic liquid-based production of textile fibres. You are responsible for maintaining and deepening Metsä Group’s know-how related to the field of Man-Made Cellulosic Fibres in general (i.e. not only IL-based processes).
Moreover, Metsä Spring has so far studied over 250 startups, of which about 2/3 are from abroad. As part of the Metsä Spring team, you will also, from time to time, participate in this evaluation work.
What are we looking for?
- We believe that the most suitable educational background for this position is a technical degree, like Master of Science in Technology, Licentiate of Science in Technology or Doctor of Science in Technology
- A person with several years of experience in using ionic liquids for the dissolution of cellulose/pulp and regeneration of such dopes using air-gap spinning
- You are well acquainted with working in networked R&D projects
- You are analytical and systematic, as well as result-oriented and solution-minded
- You are able to work proactively and independently, but you are fundamentally a team player
- In relation to being a good team player, when it comes to other experts, it is natural for you to listen and cater to their opinions. Also, it is in your nature to share efficiently important information within the team
- You are looking forward to deepening and broadening your own professional capabilities over the years to come
- You are committed to the tasks at hand and your attitude towards working is assertive/firm
- It is natural for you to visit various demo/pilot plants and laboratories (includes some travelling), and it is not an issue for you to even spend some days at such locations following and guiding the on-going trials.
Metsä Group is one of the global leaders within the field of bioeconomy. From 2015 to 2018 Metsä Group invested about two billion euros in new production plants. The biggest single investment, during those years, was the bioproduct mill in Äänekoski, which started operating in August 2018. Last year, Metsä Group started a new investment programme, again amounting about two billion euros. So far already two investment decision have been made: The renewal of the recovery boiler in Husum and building a completely new sawmill in Rauma. The third sub-entity of the programme is a new bioproduct mill in Kemi. The new bioproduct mill is still in planning phase.
In addition to its bioeconomy businesses, Metsä Group is also active with various circular economy concepts and is a firm believer in operating as part of an ecosystem. If you want to be a part of the Metsä Group journey and you especially want to focus on finding new sustainable alternatives to fossil-based materials, then you have found the right place!
Want to learn more? Do not hesitate to contact us
The CEO of Metsä Spring, Niklas von Weymarn, is happy to answer your additional questions. The best way to reach him is fixing a video or phone discussion time slot in advance. Kirsti Härö is happy to help you in finding a suitable time slot. You can contact her at email@example.com or by phone at +358 40 960 3574.
Apply for the job
Please submit your application using the link "Apply". We suggest you to do it as soon as possible, as we will start processing the applications already during the application period. Kindly also include your CV (and also tell us your salary request). This search is open until 24 May 2020.