COMMUNICATIONS TEAM ASSISTANT
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment and potential to support the Communications Team in implementing the Institutes communication strategy in research projects and specialized events to assure the uptake and impact of the Institute’s work as well as building and promoting the brand of UNU-WIDER, by mobilizing knowledge to the right audience, at the right time, in the right format, through the right channels.
Under the supervision of the Communications Officer the incumbent will:
- Assist in the administration of the Institute’s main website www.wider.unu.edu, related sites, newsletter, and other digital products to facilitate knowledge mobilization and ensure research uptake and impact.
- Write first drafts of promotional copy for the website, social media, and other communication channels; assist in the production the Institute’s knowledge translation products such as policy and research briefs, reports, interviews, and other material, including design, status tracking, online layout.
- Assist in the organization of events, including conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions, the WIDER Annual Lecture, press briefings, interviews etc., and produce associated communications components; take part in planning and implementing visual components and digital products for the Institute’s events, including conferences, seminars, roundtable discussions, WIDER Annual Lectures, press briefings, interviews, etc.
- Assist in administration, tagging, quality control, linking, and metadata entry, checking for uniformity of entries of the Institute’s websites , publications repository, CiviCRM, and other platforms and databases.
- Assist in the monitoring, reviewing and recording of media coverage of UNU-WIDER and its research and provide weekly updates for the website.
- Assist in the design and layout of varied products in print and electronic media projects, such as brochures, catalogues, flyers, posters, and online newsletters; support and implement the Institute’s brand and design in all communications materials.
- Assist the communications team with the timely management of the UNU-WIDER social media and web presence, especially in the management of the Institute’s YouTube and Flickr accounts.
- Review, record, route and/or process mail and/or other documents; gather pertinent background material; track and monitor follow-up action as required.
- Use standard word processing packages to produce a variety of reports, tables, charts, graphs, etc., in accordance with institutional standards.
- Maintain files (both paper and electronic) and assist in compiling and researching data for reporting on the activities and impact of the work unit.
- Update and maintain large distribution lists; assemble documents, reports and other materials for global dissemination, where possible using electronic formats.
- Provide general office support services to help ensure the smooth functioning of the team.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with at least one (1) year of relevant work experience preferably in an international organization. Or,
- Completion of secondary school education with at least four (4) years of relevant work experience preferably in an international organization.
- Excellent command of English language writing for academic and non-academic target audiences. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
- Experience in using Drupal (or other CMS), CiviCRM (or other CRM) and database tools.
- Good command of MS Office, especially Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Understands key development issues, with a track record on communicating these to academic and non-academic audiences is an advantage.
- Demonstrable skills in graphic design are necessary, and experience with Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign and Photoshop) is an advantage.
- Knowledge of the UN system is an advantage; previous experience of working in international development organizations would be an asset.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and with high level of resilience.
- Strong ability to establish priorities, multi-task and work within tight timelines.
- Excellent team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as an ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications, experience and level of responsibilities within the administration. This is a locally-recruited post and no relocation allowance applies. The post is limited to persons residing in Finland, including persons holding a valid work permit. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
Duration of contract
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using this form and must upload the following:
- a cover letter setting out how their qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations
- an up-to-date CV
- a copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations: Chapter 3, article 8).
- Ilmoitusnumero: 1113175
- Työsuhde: Määräaikainen työsuhde
- Työn tyyppi: Kokopäiväinen
- Hakuosoite: www-osoite
- Sijainti: Helsinki