Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the Communications and Liaison Specialist (CLS) will assist in implementing the external communication activities of the Country Office (CO), raising awareness of migration in the media and among the general public and other key partners, and contributing to reinforcing and expanding IOM’s relations and communication with key partners in Finland and Sweden.
Core Functions/ Responsibilities:
1. Act as Media Focal Point for the CO, oversee, support and follow-up press requests, in coordination with the Media and Communications Division in Geneva (MCD) and Regional Office in Brussels;
2. Assist the Heads of Units (HoU) in implementing communication activities, and to promote IOM and raise awareness of migration in the media and among the general public and other key partners.
3. Manage CO’s website and social media channels. Draft, produce and edit content in cooperation with the HoU.
4. Support in planning and implementation of information campaigns and events as required;
5. Distribute IOM press releases and other information or documents to counterparts;
6. Follow-up press and media in general for migration-related matters at the Finnish and Swedish levels; prepare and share press summaries with the CoM and CO Helsinki colleagues;
7. In coordination with the HoU, develop and disseminate information materials among partners and via relevant websites and newsletters;
8. Support new project submissions related to information and communication activities;
9. Assist in preparing briefing points, presentations, speeches and other background information in view of meetings and conferences, and compile information material and other documentation as requested by Headquarters, the Regional Office (RO) in Brussels and/or other IOM COs. Draft meetings reports and minutes; routine correspondence, letters, reports, memoranda related to IOM operational and administrative matters;
10. Research, collect and analyze relevant information on priority policy and emerging issues within the field of migration and assist in policy formulation related to these issues;
11. Assist in responding to information requests and inquiries; process, draft and finalize correspondence and other communications;
12. Assist in the follow up of Finnish and Swedish policy developments, especially in the area of migration; Contribute to research on various topics related to migration in Finland and Sweden with the aim to identify problems and propose activities/projects to the CoM and the project development team;
13. Support the Heads of Units when necessary;
14. Any other duty within the incumbent’s capabilities as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in Information Management, Media, Social Sciences or related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience, preferably in similar roles; or
• Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
Experience in public information, public relations, and marketing.
• Excellent writing and communications skills. Ability to draft texts clearly and concisely in both Finnish and English.
• Experience in writing and designing brochures, fact sheets and other information materials, Knowledge of liaising with printing companies is considered an advantage.
• A high level of computer literacy, knowledge of CMS systems/ website management and development, social media and Adobe Creative Suite is considered a distinct advantage.
• Knowledge of EU institutions, EC financial instruments and EU decision-making procedures.
• Familiarity with UN common system or similar systems is an advantage
Fluency in English, Finnish and Swedish are required.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, does not hold criminal record and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates with the required qualifications should submit a cover letter and a CV. Save them in the form “Your Family Name _ Your First Name”, either as .doc or as .PDF file (e.g.: Doe_John.doc or Doe_John.PDF). All applications must be addressed to the Resource Management Officer (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) quoting the above vacancy notice number/reference code as well as the last name of the candidate.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we are not able to answer phone inquiries at this stage.
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Information about the position in short:
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Communications and Liaison Specialist
Duty Station : Helsinki, Finland
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : By mid-January 2019
Reference Code : FI10-VN-2018-07
Closing Date : 25 November 2018