Backend Engineer (Internal BI Tools)
As a Backend Engineer within Value for Life, you will play a crucial role in enabling smart business decisions based on data.
At present, our team of 3 people is focusing on developing our invoicing service, which is responsible for sending correct invoices to our customers and at the same time allows us to attribute our sales efforts correctly. At the side, we are also starting a project to move our data warehouse to Snowflake and coordinate the ETL jobs with Airflow.
In the future, we are looking to provide actionable notifications from our Business Intelligence data to our Customer Success Managers to enable the sales organization to work more efficiently.
About the team
Value for Life automates operations by creating internal BI tools, dashboards, and metrics for product teams, billing, sales tools development, and internal data warehouse development. Our customers are our fellow employees here at Smartly. We collect, warehouse, and refine data to support business intelligence, invoicing, sales operations, and product management.
Value for Life works closely with multiple teams around the company to build an understanding of how the data warehouse and pipeline should be built so that they serve the company in the best possible way.
Our stack: Ruby on Rails, Python, PostgreSQL, Redis, RabbitMQ, Sidekiq, Sneakers, Docker, Kubernetes, Snowflake, Airflow
What will be your responsibilities:
- Develop our invoicing service
- Develop and maintain integrations that relate to our invoicing (Salesforce and Netsuite) and also integrations to our data warehouse
- Develop internal tooling from the Business Intelligence’s and invoicing’s point of view
- Design, build and operate microservices running on Kubernetes
- Collaborating with finance, development teams and DevOps
What we're looking for:
- Experience in building backend applications (preferably in Rails)
- Experience in working with microservices and queues
- Experience in data engineering is seen as an advantage
What we offer you:
- Business critical position in a business critical team.
- Chance to work with experienced professionals with a varying set of expertise areas (backend development, databases, business systems, BI analytics).
- Support for relocation.
- Competitive salary and benefits.
What to expect from our recruitment process
1. First meeting: before diving deeper into your tech skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Smartly.io.
2. Technical interview: we’ll discuss areas relevant to you ranging from frontend development to networks, security, and development methods. We’re trying to get a clear overview of your skills and where you could learn more.
4. The final interview with Engineering Director and your team lead.